• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

were people this doubtful?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpoonMaN

when the Gf4 cards were coming out were all the ATI people saying theres no way they could be faster then the 8500 cards?
i mean of cource the nextgen card is gonna blow the old away
i think all this fighting about this crap should be BANNED
it makes everybody fighting about unreleased stuff look dumb
as i said before
ATI makes good cards
and nVidia makes good cards too
just live with it

Personally I think its great if each new card kicks the crap out of the previous. This just pushes the technology. Considering that ATI has had some time now to work on r350 its a great thing if geforcefx is a hit cuz it pushes them to release it instead of milking the 9700 ;)

I think part of the issue this time around is that the perfect nvidia schedule of releases has been blown away with these delays and so people may be a little worried that nvidia has "lost it".

your right stump i probobly will start more but to tell u the truth im getting sick of it all
ATI has 3 cards out right now that are faster then almost anything nvidia has
but will shall see the next gen here shortly and it will beat em all
then its gonna happen again in 3-6 months and then again
im just sick of the flaming

It's fun to speculate...and the reason people are so curious about the NV30, and *if* and how much faster it may or *may not* be are very different...

Had the Geforce4Ti been designed the same time as the R8500, and meant to be released the same time as the R8500, and then run into manufacturing delays to put it behind scheule by 5 to 6 months (yes, according to the president of Nvidia the NV30 was originally slated to arrive in AUGUST), then I'm sure people would have been curious about it as well...

Especially if the delayed model only had a memory bus 1/2 the size of the one released on time, despite faster core and memory speeds...
The 128bit bus, along with what is clock for clock inferior memory, is not helping either.

Couple that with clock for clock weaker geometry processing...and you're looking at some pretty big holes in the design.

No one can definatley say yes or no, it's fun to speculate..

I would not assume the NV30 to truly be a "generation" ahead of the R9700...their featuresets are nearly identical....:).. Although Nvidia is using .13 micron technology, the absence of low-k essentially makes it a downside to the NV30 because it requires more external components...and doesn't deliver really what one wants from 0.13

Tech sites agree they are of the same generation as well....
http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=6038
http://tech-report.com/etc/2002q3/nextgen-gpus/index.x?pg=1

Suddenly, you see why we are really comparing two cards designed during the same time period, and why there are obvious questions as to which one will be faster:)

Last edited:
PreservedSwine said:
It's fun to speculate...and the reason people are so curious about the NV30, and *if* and how much faster it may or *may not* be are very different...

Had the Geforce4Ti been designed the same time as the R8500, and meant to be released the same time as the R8500, and then run into manufacturing delays to put it behind scheule by 5 to 6 months (yes, according to the president of Nvidia the NV30 was originally slated to arrive in AUGUST), then I'm sure people would have been curious about it as well...

Especially if the delayed model only had a memory bus 1/2 the size of the one released on time, despite faster core and memory speeds..

No one can definatley say yes or no, it's fun to speculate..

I would not assume the NV30 to truly be a "generation" ahead of the R9700...their featuresets are nearly identical....:)..
Tech sites agree they are of the same generation as well....
http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=6038
http://tech-report.com/etc/2002q3/nextgen-gpus/index.x?pg=1

Suddenly, you see why we are really comparing two cards designed during the same time period, and why there are obvious questions as to which one will be faster:)

Yeah, what he said. Its fun to speculate and its very easy to avoid topics you don't like by not clicking on them.

If its just flaming that bothers you, its surely not restricted to this topic or this forum or these boards or this site etc...

unless they are aiming to release a cheap card...their next big smash has to be exactly that...otherwise its gameover

if the 9700pro had of been as good as a Ti4200 say, who the hell would of bought one for that price???

also I thought it was the GeForce 3 Ti500 which was the Radeon8500s main contender? GeForce 4s obviosuly where gonna stomp it

also I thought it was the GeForce 3 Ti500 which was the Radeon8500s main contender? GeForce 4s obviosuly where gonna stomp it
Yes, that's exactly what he's saying...
Spoonman doesn't seem to understand why some people have the audacity to question if the NV30 will actually be an improvement over the R9700PRO...

Since no one questioned if the Geforce4 was going to be faster than the R8500 or Geforce3, he seems confused as to why so many people are questioning the *supposed superior* performance of the NV30....

That was my take on the post anyway, please correct me if I got it wrong:)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...............

GF3 vs. 8500
GF4 series vs. 9xxx series
GFFX vs. ?????????

If the GF3 and the 8500 were synched releases, they would technically be competing against each other. That would leave nVidia's next series to compete agains ATI's next series, which is the GF4's versus the 9xxx series. So technically ATI could be seen as being slow to come up with a competing line against the GF4's (I'm saying that because I can't recall the 2 companies release dates for those new lines) and the GFFX is now alone in terms of which generation it's competing against!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the R350 will be pretty much a souped up 9700Pro. Will true next generation of ATI cards be the R400 (or whatever it'll be codenamed)???

Because the GF3, 4, and FX are all different generations, not speed increases. I'm not going GF2 and lower because the GF3 and 8500 were pretty close in their releases, I think. Since the GF3, the ATI has only had 2 distinct generations, the 8500 and the 9xxx's.

Or am I totally wrong and the GF4 is just a really really fast GF3, not many technological innovations???

I don't think gf4 was as big a quantum leap forward as gf3 was overgf2. Any way ya slice it though regardless of release dates the 8500 was in ati's flagship card and it went up against the gf4 cards. It obviously wasn't as fast ;)

If nvidia had managed to release the geforcefx on time they might have kept the upper hand but as it stands now the r350 MAY be in striking distance of the geforcefx, depending on just how good it is and just how far off the 350 is.

Stumpjumper

I think you missed it, but the NV30 was supposed to be released in AUGUST.

The NV30 was meant to compete w/ the R9700......

And yes, the Geforce 4 is basically a souped up GF3:)

And Deathnight, I think you're expecting a bit much out a a high-dialectric .13 card w/ a 128 bit bus...

Me thinks the NV30 will have enough trouble outperfroming the R9700:)

Stumpjumper5200 said:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...............

GF3 vs. 8500
GF4 series vs. 9xxx series
GFFX vs. ?????????

Not quite...until the release of the 9xxx cards, ATi was on a 1 year cycle, while nVidia was on a 6 month (though they havent actually released a card every 6 months since the GF2 :rolleyes: )

Back