• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Innovatek water cooled rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MACDIVER

Registered
Hi guys,

I didn't even know this board existed till I got to roaming around. I've been getting help from Sonny over on the Abit mobo page.

There are some awesome systems here!!!!

The whole idea for this came from the Tom's Hardware review of the Innovatek water cooling system. Only two companies sell the system and right now they are sold out of just about everything. I had to get the radiator from somewhere else but it is a little larger and has fittings for two 120mm fans. I used Panaflo fans and you can hardly hear them running. The flow meter thingy is seen by MBM5 as a fan and turns at at 3900 rpms. The pump is an Eheim 1046 and is rated at around 80gph. I use ShutDown NOW!! to shut it down if anything stops working. I got the relay switch from Swiftech so that the pump comes on when the computer is started. All the water stuff ran me around 350 not including the fans. The case is a Hon Hi and was 70 bucks.

It isn't overclocked and won't even hit it's rated speed 1400(133) It is running now at the setting >1300(100). I can't get it to do anything in the 133 FSB. That is what Sonny is helping me with.

Temps are 86 Idle and 93 playing SOF2 online.

Here is a pic of it I posted on the Abit mobo site.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117158

Here are a couple of the sites that sell and review the stuff.

Mobo: Abit KT7A
CPU: Athlon 1.4

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant...egory_Code=Kits

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/...0701/index.html

Last edited:
Detail of the rad and the two 120mm Panaflows. Note the 1/2 to 1/4 tubing. I use a 1/2 to 3/8 union and forced it over the 1/4 tubing so as not to lose any more flow.

Bleeding all the air out of the system. The reservoir has to be submerged but not the flowmeter of course. Not shown is the other VGA/Chipset cooler that was out of stock at the time. I just got it today so I have to do all that over again. The rig is assembled and tested here and put into the computer and tested again without the computer power supply hooked up.

Talk about a jury rig!!!

Shows the pump and resevoir in the pan. I used a toothbrush to pull the air out. Get the plexiglass resevior. Not the alum one.

dang, did I say something wrong not to get any responses to my rig?

Isn't Innovatek good enough or this board is only for those who use something else?

Just courious doods

Laters

:D

Exclent job my friend-- looks nice and tidy- but arent you loosing lots of flow with 1/4inch to 1/2inch???

The Spyder said:
Exclent job my friend-- looks nice and tidy- but arent you loosing lots of flow with 1/4inch to 1/2inch???

It's the only thing I could do. The size of the Innovatek stuff is 1/4 inch. I just got a massive rad I guess. Compare mine with the link from Tom's Hardware and look at the kit rad. Quite a bit smaller.

mamer,

You get fried? I was wondering that even with distilled water if it would really conduct electricity if it leaked. Then there is the antifreeze. Does it conduct too?

Anybody know?

Hey dude.

MACDIVER,

Hey, I actually got the LAST kit on the last shipment from High Speed PC not too long ago. I hate this tubing it came with. I have no tight turns, very loose comfortable turns and it is collapsing EVERYWHERE. I am in the process of looking into upgrading to a larger tubing. Problem is I have to upgrade ALL my fittings. As I am sure you notice looking at your reservoir and waterblock fittings. I can't find a thread that fits it. Not even metric. Does 1/4" tubing fit the innovatek compression fittings good? What kind of tubing you have?

I play SOF2 online quite a bit, we should hookup and play sometime. I need some fresh meat (well, or I need to be some. :D ) You can give me an e-mail at [email protected] or something. But 2 thumbs up on your colling system, Even the 1/2 to 1/4 inch conversion. Make due with what you got. What cost you $350 though? Is that an innovatek vid cooler? how well does it work?

Keep up the good work!
John

suggestion -

Swap the 8mm compression fittings for the 10mm barbs from highspeedpc - they come in kits of 2 straight and 2 angles. If you don't want those, look for barbs at the hardware store that have 1/4" MPT threads. Take your pick of ID. Pretty common, really. Then, go to Home Depot and get 3/8 ID 1/2 OD vinyl tubing (if 10mm was the choice). You've got a different rad - not sure what is needed there. On the one in the kit, you need hose clamps for the larger tubing to be snug.

Oh yeah - you may need to also find a 1/8" MPT to 3/8" barb (at least, maybe 1/2") for the 1046 from the kit. The 10mm fittings work with the Innovatek adapter for the 1046, but the adapter only has an 8mm ID - bottleneck.

I was paranoid about the barbs, but they do not leak, and I am now 3-4 C cooler than before. No elbows, no kinks!

Good luck

PS - I know what you mean about the dead air with Innovatek questions. This place is a GREAT resource in the way of concepts and advice, but most of the folks here seem to use other stuff. Lately I've seen a few of us around though - finally.

PPS - Do you find that you need to run the res and pump submerged for a while to get rid of bubbles? After a few successful re-fills just letting the air purge into the res on it's own, I now have an air purge issue. Maybe I'll try that...

Hey guys!!

So a couple more Innovatek users. Good deal!

They didn't have a kit when I got my stuff so I peice-mealed it. The only things that I didn't get from High Speed were the rad, tubing, pump and relay switch. I suggested he stock the relay switch. Gotta have one of them!!! That and the flow thingy too. In case the pump doesn't come on for some reason. Once a wire had come loose from the relay and the alarms went off. My high temp on the CPU is only set at 111F so plenty of room for error anyway. Luv that water cooling :D

Scott didn't have the nylon bolts and nuts for the vid card cooler so I took it with a ten buck discount and tried to find them locally with no luck. I have never had it hooked up yet. I just got my other vga/chipset cooler I've been waiting for and Scott sent me the nuts and bolts out of the last shipment at no charge. He is a class act!!

All the reviews I have read except for Tom's Hardware says the tubing sucks. I just got some from my local hardware store. I don't use any damn elbows either. Talk about slowing water flow!! Mine is 3/8 od and 1/4 id. Now that makes for a super tight fit and you have to twist the tubing counter-clockwise like six times for it to work out when you tighten the fittings with a wrench. The upside is that it will never leak!!! It doesn't kink at all. In fact you can make a circle with the tubing and bring it down to about an inch and it still doesn't kink. Problem solved with that deal. Probally will help prevent condensation, not that I'm getting any, too with a thicker wall. Now grv might have an idea there with the High Speed 10mm barbs. I didn't know they were available. Scott would probally swap you out for them.

Note the pan I used to get all the air out of the resevoir.

For SOF2 fraggin see www.pcinnovations.com

I am Jango on that site, the offensive team clan leader. Mac is the overall and defensive leader. Good peeps there. We've been playing a lot of Battlefield 1942 on the server lately. If you want to ioin us I'll send you the server password. Bout eight of us playing it right now usually.

Later guys, I''ll be in touch.

hmmm, you want more innovatek users ... I'll bite, built the setup yesterday ...

innovarad dual
innovacool rev3
innovatank-o-matic
eheim 1048
silicone 8/10mm tubing
arctic silver 3
two ys-tech 120mm 84cfm fan

the lineup:
parts2.jpg

test fitting the rad .... tight fit in a aopen hx08
rad_test_fitting2.jpg

suckholes and res from the front:
external2.jpg

am I worthy to join the innovatek club? :)
bo v

forgot to post my temps:

asus a7v333-lumberjack-1011U bios
xp1900@1680mhz@1,8V
diode reading in mbm beta
wpcredit - halt enabled!

before - volcano 7+ (qfan enabled, ~4600rpm)
ambient - 27
idle
---case - 36
---cpu - 42
load
---case - 40
---cpu - 57

now - watercooling (dual innovarad/eheim 1048/innovacool3)

fans (2 ys-tech 3.8w 120mm) ca 7 volt rheostat
ambient - 26
idle
---case - 28
---cpu - 31
load
---case - 29
---cpu - 38 (36 with fans at max)

fans off (psu and 80 fan in the back still running)
idle
---case - 35
---cpu - 38

load - temps after half hour, seemed stable for the last 10 minutes ...
---case - 36
---cpu - 50

seems pretty ok to even though the tubing could have been larger ...

bo v

Nice setup!!!

No offence Tom is a id10t Dont ever take advice from him. He tends to take bribes and make the reviews lean to what ever side gives him the most money. He ran the swiftech system in the test without any fan on the rad. :rolleyes:

Cool stuff.

aabtek,

Nice setup. I want a "tank-o-matic". I love that reservior. I have the plexi one that attaches to the pump. Looks cool. I put a blue LED under it. I also built a clear platform for my pump/res. Looks pretty tight. I couldn't get it perfect. I live an hour away from a hardware store that carries dremel stuff. So when mine died I couldn't smooth the edges real good. I also made a custom rear plate for my RAD. In my Lian Li, The PSU sits on a platform above the MB. Well, I move it up to the VERY top of the case, and made a square hole that fits the RAD perfect. I bolted the rad, fan, and plate all together with 4" bolts. Looks really good. I'll have to borrow some sort of camera, and get a free- pic hosting site. I still have a lot of modding to do.

What formula TYGON should I get for 8mmID/10mmOD so I can get rid of this collapsing tube?

Peace out,
John

Zackly what does the tank-o-matic do, get all the air out of the system? Does the water flow through it so it cools it a bit too?

Mr. $T$ said:
Nice setup!!!

No offence Tom is a id10t Dont ever take advice from him. He tends to take bribes and make the reviews lean to what ever side gives him the most money. He ran the swiftech system in the test without any fan on the rad. :rolleyes:

I second the notion that tom is a pompus id10t. :D
BTW very nice setup . :beer:

just a thought, shouldn't the Res be the highest point in the setup?

(EDIT): you might have an air bubble in your WB. this could be the reason it's not cooling the way it should!!

Last edited:
Back