• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best stereo headphones for under $50?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

I'm considering the Sennheiser PX 100's which I found for $38 shipped but if anyone knows of a better choice I'm all ears. I'll be using them for gaming as well as music.

Koss KSC75, just as good as PX100s imo. Comparatively, the PX100s are better in a plain way (balance, clarity), the KSC75s have a more sophisticated sound (something of a soundstage, resonance, extension) but bass is a bit muddy and mids are recessed.

If you don't mind no 'thumping' bass but accurate bass reproduction and otherwise all around very good sound see if the Labtec Elite 840s are still around. I got a pair based on a thread in cyberdeals and am enjoying them a lot. Granted I haven't listened a lot to 'highend' headphones like Senneheiser HDs and whatnot but for the ~$28 they cost me I am pleased. Note that they are open-air which is why they don't have the closed-type bass and do let in external sounds. They seemed overly bright to me at first but with the equalizing and some break in they sound better.

That's just my personal experience though, there may be better ones out there. :)

Last edited:
When you say headphones I assume you don't mean in ear cans, but I'm going to say it anyways. I have a pair of Sennheiser CX300 and I'm amazed at how great they are. So easy to use and really sound very very nice. I have more expensive headphones(Sennheiser 590, 580, 280). I use my CX300 the most.

If you look on amazon you can find Sony MDR-V6s for ~$65. I know its over your budget, but for the extra $15 youll get better sound. Note that they are studio monitors and are very revealing...a poorly encoded mp3 will show through them.

I love my PX100s! They sound simply amazing (though I will admit I'm not very keen on audio related stuff.) The way they fold up and pack into the case is very nifty. IMHO these are PERFECT for LANning with a laptop. Supposedly if you're an audiophile it lacks wee bit of treble (nothing that coulding be fixed with a bit of EQ IMHO)

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sennheiser_PX100/4505-6468_7-30235779.html

Edit: Read a couple of user reviews and apparently the treble gets better after a weeks worth of use... ? Not sure if that is possible but still doesn't change the fact that these are awesome portable headphones.

Also thought of somethign else, if you games for long periods of time with closed ear headphones your ears will gunk up from lack of fresh air (at least mine did when I used to game.) Since these are not closed your ears will benefit from air circulation!

Yeah, I kinda like this style of headphones because they're lighter than over the ear types and they don't get waxy like earbuds.

px100's are excellent headphones and would be $50 well spent. I personally prefer the ksc75's because they offer a better price/performance ratio. But then again I mod my ksc75's (quarter mod & recable)

I finally gave in and ordered the px100's. $38 total is awesome. I couldn't pass it up. Amazon is great for getting things cheap and tax free. If only I'd qualified for super saver shipping it would be $33. Oh well, still a good deal. I got my Athena AS-F2.2 floorstanding loudspeakers the same way for $415 all together when some places would have gotten about $700 out of me. Anyways,thanks for the advice everyone.

Got the headphones today. Love em'. Swiveling earpieces and a padded headband make for a comfortable fit and the sound is good imo. The athena's came in too. These are what really blew me away. Pork soda never sounded so good.

Back