• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please check my TIM/HS install, I have a question (pics inside).

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

southpark2033

Registered
I have one question. After a sloppy, drippy over-use of AS, I re-did it (as you can see) with much better results. However, due to the nature of my HS, I am somewhat concerned as to wether leftover ArctiClean Remover/Purifier could be deposited between the heatpipes in the grooves. To prevent this I did the following:

1) 3 passes of Remover/Purifier using coffee filters.
2) 3 passes focusing on the grooves using q-tips.
3) One more pass using coffee filters.
4) One dry pass, using coffe filters and q-tips.
5) 5 minutes with a hair dryer pointed at the base of the heatsink.
6) I spread the AS using a vinyl, powderless surgical glove (pic #1)
7) I set the HS and fully screwed it in, then removed it to check the contact (pic #2)

Will these measures be enough to assure me that there is next to zero cleaning chemical in there? I really think this is a flaw of this cooler...

Attachments

• DSCN2607s.jpg
    DSCN2607s.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN2608s.jpg
    DSCN2608s.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 124
that should be more than enough effort. All I usually do is use acetone and a clean cloth then after it dries for 10 min I use a pea sized ball right in the middle of the IHS then let the pressure do the spreading the coverage ends up good and if you apply just the right amount it won't seep out. Another thing I do is apply a little AS to the base of the heatsink then spready it around and wipe it off using a cotton cloth, that will fill in whatever grooves or imperfections there are.

Spreading the TIM as you did is not advised as it usually leads to air bubbles between the CPU and cooler.:( This will lead to poor results.
Look HERE for the best way to apply your TIM with use on HDT coolers.
The cooler I do not believe has any flaws, you just need to apply it as per the above method.
Also look into lapping the HDT cooler.:clap:

I should just add, to clean my HDT cooler I bought some Isopropyl alcohol 90+% pure and used a toothbrush ( new of course ) with liberal amounts of Isopropyl alcohol to get everything out of the grooves then the just cleaned it with coffee filter paper and Isopropyl alcohol as it will leave no lint or paper residue.
But I agree they are a bit of a pain to get properly clean.

Back