• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OEM or Retail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngbuck

I'm about to order an AMD XP processor online. I plan on over-clocking it. Which is more overclockable, a retail CPU or an OEM CPU? Or is the difference small enough to not worry about paying more for one than the other.
Thanx in advance.
-YB

if you get the oem you don't get the pos heatsink and fan, but you also don't get the 3 year warrenty. you only get the sellers 30 day or sometimes 15. other then that thier the same chip. but if you overclock a retail cpu i think you void the warrenty. but you would just have to lie to AMD. and say you didn't, only if thier no proff like a hack job on unlocking it. if you are really into over clocking get the xp 1600 from newegg.com those chips have been getting way past a stock 2100 for only 56 bucks shipped two day air. buy three for the same price as a 2100 and have two back ups. just make sure you get a good cooling rig and good high speed ram. the ax-7 is a great heatsink for dirt cheap. add a 5 dollar fan and your off. shop around newegg by far one of the best and cheapest sellers

sorry it's googlegear with free 2 day shipping and thier 54 dollars for oem. googlegear is a good seller just their server is wicked slow.

Deadphishy said:
if you get the oem you don't get the pos heatsink and fan, but you also don't get the 3 year warrenty. you only get the sellers 30 day or sometimes 15. other then that thier the same chip. but if you overclock a retail cpu i think you void the warrenty. but you would just have to lie to AMD. and say you didn't, only if thier no proff like a hack job on unlocking it. if you are really into over clocking get the xp 1600 from newegg.com those chips have been getting way past a stock 2100 for only 56 bucks shipped two day air. buy three for the same price as a 2100 and have two back ups. just make sure you get a good cooling rig and good high speed ram. the ax-7 is a great heatsink for dirt cheap. add a 5 dollar fan and your off. shop around newegg by far one of the best and cheapest sellers

You can no longer lie to AMD. They've got a device that they plug ur cpu up to and it tells them the highest fsb and multiplier that it has ever been set to. Apparently, it only works on newer chips tho.

youngbuck said:
I can get an OEM 2000+ for $59 shipped. Sound good?

sounds like a great deal to me! hook a brother up :D

dead, the warranty doesn't really matter anymore if you
overclock, as said in the above post. but you do get
a mighty fine paperweight!

the one im talking about getting is OEM, so it doesnt come with a fan, right? My video card already has a fan on it... and it never really gets hot, at least that i know of :)

Also, do the thoroughbred chips proccess any better than the paliminos if they were @ the same clock speed?

I think the two types have the same instruction set, so I think they would be the same. And with OEM cpu's you will just have to get a good copper heatsink with good , strong fan, and thermal paste or pad.

Back