• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU module from a Dual Power Mac G4, does this die look right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
I have a "Quicksilver 2002" Power Mac Dual G4 1 GHz that has been dead for quite some time. In a nutshell, it won't boot, no infamous Mac "bong" sound. I've tried a single processor G4 466 module from an older graphite Power Mac G4 and it booted up in this Quicksilver tower, so I've narrowed it down to the processor module.

Here is a picture of the dual processor module I'm having trouble with. Does the die on the left look correct? To my eyes it looks obviously toasted compared to the die on the right. The heatsink design Apple used in this system is a single heatsink that covers both dies, held in place by two parallel clips that attach to the sides of the module daughterboard. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Can you please retake the picture? Push the flower button on the camera to put it in macro mode, it is extremely hard to see.

Can you please retake the picture? Push the flower button on the camera to put it in macro mode, it is extremely hard to see.

Done. Until now I never knew this old D340R had such a mode. Macro mode is much better!

Done. Until now I never knew this old D340R had such a mode. Macro mode is much better!
Oh my, much better :)

Looking it over, they look exactly the same, I can't spot anything different :shrug:

The one on the left looks toast, if you look on each side of the die there are burn marks, (atleast thats what I think they are)

Back