• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow ... just wow ... :p

can i haz a tb? :p

this is a pretty neat project so far :) i want to get going on mine, but finals are coming up here, once classes are over i'll be over my car's data control panel!

wow ... just wow ... :p

can i haz a tb? :p

this is a pretty neat project so far :) i want to get going on mine, but finals are coming up here, once classes are over i'll be over my car's data control panel!
Mine! :mad:

I figured that was a given. Got anything specific picked out? I'm surprised that corsair can handle all those drives on start up.
Nope, probably going with APC though, love their products.

If you use Samba though, why would you need an ext3 driver? I can read my web server no problem.

If you are looking at running *nix I would recommend either:

Debian Stable or FreeBSD 7.1
I'll look into it, I just don't want to be running 4 different "versions" of linux.

If you use Samba though, why would you need an ext3 driver? I can read my web server no problem.

I'll look into it, I just don't want to be running 4 different "versions" of linux.

Dont be lazy you will do it anyways :)

Stable server OS debian and BSD :) no where else to look

I don't think one is needed either. My Ubuntu f/s uses ext3 on the shared drives and I have no trouble reading-writing-adding-deleting dirs and files from my Vista PCs or XP Home PC. I never actively installed drivers for an smb share in Windows.

I do, however, have to ssh into the f/s to alter file permissions when needed. I don't know about file ownership editing from a windows client because I have never tried.

Each with their own subtle differences... For simplicity's sake, I wouldn't want to do that either. Sounds like a good way to get heartburn.

I don't think one is needed either. My Ubuntu f/s uses ext3 on the shared drives and I have no trouble reading-writing-adding-deleting dirs and files from my Vista PCs or XP Home PC. I never actively installed drivers for an smb share in Windows.

I do, however, have to ssh into the f/s to alter file permissions when needed. I don't know about file ownership editing from a windows client because I have never tried.
It was more a rhetorical question than anything, I knew the answer ;)

Each with their own subtle differences... For simplicity's sake, I wouldn't want to do that either. Sounds like a good way to get heartburn.
Yup yup

Well, I don't even have 8 of the drives yet, so nothing ATM ;)

Back