• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum Safe temperature for AMD Opteron 180?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tricknasty

My computer is in my sig, i run it 24/7 and my room gets pretty damn hot with summer around the corner. idle sticks at around 54C. when im playing bf2 it hits 60-61.

I just used SP2004 and ran 2 at the same time, because of my dual core. my temps rocketed to 65, then hit 66 and thats when i shut the programs down. I had a ton of fans going on it and tried to keep it as cool as i could. I plan on keeping this cpu for hopefully 2 years.
Am i going to pwn this processor by running 66 C full load or more?

There is an application which will tell you the thermal limit of your cpu (as set by AMD). It varies from one processor to the next. Personally I'm not comfortable with temps going alot over 60 when I run two instances of Prime95 (affinity set per core).

That would be way too hot for me. I personally set my goals at 50C or preferably less, though many will be comfortable with mid 50's. I don't think very many at all would be comfortable with those temps though. If you need help getting temps down, plenty of ppl around to help.

Yes, I agree with ]-[itman. 60 degrees in a dual core CPU is very high and at the price of a 180 I would not be risking it. Even my 144, which can handle higher temps, is set in my bios to shut down at 60 degrees.

I don't think this is really a matter of taste. As far as I've understood, the max case temp for opterons is generally 69-70C. I'm fairly sure AMD won't release specifics like this if there is a possibility it will kill the processor...

The key is ofcourse generating so much heat while testing, that you know temps will NEVER go higher.

But the question is not about operating it for a long time near that frequency. The way I have done (which people find scary...) is to generate as much heat as possiible (dual prime for me as I don't game, otherwise I'd add 3dmark on top of the primes), and see how high the temps go.

In my case temps reach 60 under full load (9*250 with 1.2vcore). Ofcourse normally I don't have any load, and my processor is at 4*250 (with 1.1vcore if I remember correctly).

The point being, I know how hot my rig goes, and it will never pass the guide value set by Amd.

Ofcourse the guy who started this thread has had a differant approach, as he has just tested with some game. I find that to be very hazardous, as he is probably still up to 10C lower then the max temp his system could reach.

So my advice would be to run two instances of prime95 and 3dmark for a while and see how high temps go. I would also advice backing down on your overclock BEFORE starting the test since temps will probably rise higher then you had them before. Make sure there is no way to pass the highest specified temp for your processor (65C in this case) and leave it at that.

I would love to run my processor higher then 2.25GHZ (it hit's 2.6 at stock vcore), but I have to make a choice between loud cooling or slow speeds.

60C seems way hot to me. What temperature is your ambient?

I suspect something is either wrong with your cooling or wrong with the temperature sensor.

My CPU never goes above 42C.

I still don't find it strange at all.. I have a big typhoon and my processor runs hot... (though I have a silent computer)

yea i turned my cpu clock down to 2.5 ghz and i still get temps that hit 60+ under load. I think im gonna water cool it or try to find a good looking chiller, i want to have it clocked high, but the big typhoon just wont do it.

It's possible you just didn't seat the heatsink very well or apply the thermalpaste correctly.

wow. you need a new heatsink and fan, bigtime. dont mean to rub it in, but i managed to get 25C with my 4000 :D with the fx-60 im on atm it idles at 52C and gets to like 55C at load

vixro said:
It's possible you just didn't seat the heatsink very well or apply the thermalpaste correctly.

You should definitly try to reseat this HSF. I don't think its on there, even for a stock heatsink that is extremely high.

agreed, proper heatsink attachment is paramount with the Big Typhoon.....

when you elevate the case to upright, the force of the heatsink weight w/fannage, if not properly attached flat and very snug, will cause slight improper contact and higher temps.

reattach the heatsink, double check the thermal compound, and pay particular attention to have equal tension on both screwdowns.

i think you will find a dramatic drop in temps when done right.

i am using one now, idling @23/24*c, it climbs to around 30*c when it gets into the heat of the day......

baldy

Back