• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clocking my X2 3600+ Higher Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hi guys,

I have been running my X2 3600+ at 2.9GHz (306x9.5) for the last 4-6months, but then with summer heating up I clocked it back down to 290x9.5 because I was getting some BSOD's appearing every now and again.

I have it cooled with an Ultra 120 Extreme, but it seems really hot. To the touch it feels between warm and hot.

Here is a picture of temperatures:

^click on it for full size one

And here is my case airflow:

x2_3600_2.jpg

x2_3600_3.jpg

Does 48c according to Coretemp, and 55c according to Speedfan(I KNOW this one is too high for what I should be getting)

Reason's as to why I could be having such high temperatures?

My Celeron 420 with the Gemini II feel's about the same temperature when it's passive through touching the heatsink and the Celeron was doing 58c full load passive.

I should first get a new case because I am over my microATX because I have a laptop that I can carry with me everywhere now :) Gotta get a big fatty case with a ton of airflow.

Last edited:
Dam that's HOT! :eek: I'm surprised it hasn't fried with those temps. have you tried 300x9? I don't recommend the 1/2 multis.

For some reason it sounds like that Ultra 120 Extreme isn't getting enough airflow.

Dam that's HOT! :eek: I'm surprised it hasn't fried with those temps. have you tried 300x9? I don't recommend the 1/2 multis.

For some reason it sounds like that Ultra 120 Extreme isn't getting enough airflow.

It's nowhere close to frying...

I know the case isn't ideal that is why I want to get a new one. (just started a post in the cases section).

I might reseat the 120 extreme and check it's all good.

EDIT: I might try the penny mod too:
10006491024lg5.jpg

My ambient temperature in my room is 85F/28c right now.

Last edited:
Rotate the heatsink 90 degrees so the intake of the fan on the heatsink is pointing forward instead of down and then check the temps.

You can't do that with the 120X on the AM2 socket.

Can try using an S-Clip. I don't know it will work or not. Other options are setting the fan to pull and blow into the PSU, or getting a Tuniq Tower for the cross flow.

Rotate the heatsink 90 degrees so the intake of the fan on the heatsink is pointing forward instead of down and then check the temps.

I beat if you do this it will help///

except make it blow toward the back of the case IMO

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thsforforhru.html
sidewindercomputers_1972_6201111

^ I am assuming it is that. My only concern would be if it actually works? The mechanism seems much more flimsy.

Here's what my paste looks like. It seems that there is not much paste in the center where it would be most needed. The 120X probably needs a lapping. What do you guys think?

120x_lap1.jpg

120x_lap2.jpg

I agree that would make a difference if you could do it , i had my 9700 installed
like that up and down which was wrong and my temps were high , once i switched it around all good

Paste looks fine. You need the 120 fan pointing towards the back of the case where the 80mm fan can dump the hot air IMO

the s compared to the other looks less likely to work good...

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thsforforhru.html
sidewindercomputers_1972_6201111

^ I am assuming it is that. My only concern would be if it actually works? The mechanism seems much more flimsy.

Here's what my paste looks like. It seems that there is not much paste in the center where it would be most needed. The 120X probably needs a lapping. What do you guys think?

120x_lap1.jpg

120x_lap2.jpg
I find the best way to apply the grease is to put a dab in the middle , about like a rice grain.
let the hs spread it

I think a business card works best IMO...

you can spread a very fine layer

I think a business card works best IMO...

you can spread a very fine layer

I use those fake credit cards they send you in the mail for applications.

Ok look what I found!

120x_lap3.jpg

^ You see that scratch and the marking from the CPU at the top left corner? No idea where the scratch came from, but I am going to make a conclusion that the other indent is from too much pressure from one of the sides of the CPU. Just checked the CPU for damage, and it seems fine.

120x_lap4.jpg

Going to do a quick lapping and try to get rid of that scratch and even the surface. Will post back in a bit.

yea that shouldn't harm the temp to much the problem I saw was that you where sucking heat from you vgpu into you hsf...

Last edited:
Try mounting the fan the way I recommended too. I think that might help more than you think. Thay way it doesn't have to struggle as much to suck air into the fan, and the heat is directly dumped into the PSU and then out of the case.

you dont want the heat to go to the psu you want it out the case

Back