• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Erm... Where is Custom Search in Windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Where is Windows 7's equivalent of this Windows XP screen:

Search.jpg

/EDIT 2/ Two freeware programs with clickable Search options:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html
and the one I use:
http://mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?type=agentransack&page=home

/EDIT 1/
To save you from reading the whole thread, I'll be editing this as I find out more:

How about just covering the Windows XP basic searches in Windows 7, here's what to type in Windows 7 here:

Win7Search.jpg

• Containing text: content:
• Date: date:
• Extension: *.exe [an example for *.exe extension]
• Size: size:
• System Folders: This option appears to be on by default on Windows 7.
• Hidden Files & Folders: This option appears to be on by default on Windows 7.

• Date Modified: modified:
• Date Created: created:
• Date Accessed: accessed:
• Date Before: before:8/25/2009
• Date After: after:8/25/2009
• Date Range: 8/1/09..8/25/09

• Type: kind:

• Size: size:
• Size limit: >50KB [or <50KB]
• Size Range: 50MB..70MB

• Subfolders on/off: This option appears to be on by default on Windows 7.

To look for something specific, be sure to add asterisk * before and after search term and * as an extension.

For example, if searching for a + sign:
Enclose the plus sign(s) within asterisks, for example *+*.*, *++*.*, *+++*.*, etc., and make sure to either add an asterisk as the extension, or include a known extension like *.jpg for example.

/EDIT 2/

Code:
Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/advquery.mspx

Once you have Windows Search for Windows Vista or Windows XP, you might be wondering how you can be even more efficient when it comes to finding files and e-mail on your PC. Advanced Query Syntax (AQS) can help you do just that. Using AQS, you can quickly define and narrow your searches for even more targeted results.

You can narrow your searches using a variety of keywords, or search parameters, which can restrict your query to specific locations, specific file types or properties within those types, or specific "file kinds." File kinds are displayed at the top of the Windows Search Explorer, accessible by pressing the Windows Logo key + F.

To match a specific string literally, without it being interpreted as a keyword, you can use double quotation marks. Words in a search query entered between quotation marks are matched exactly, in the order they were entered.

The example tables below give you an overview of syntax that can be used with Windows Search 4.0, Windows Vista, or Windows Desktop Search 3.01 for Windows XP, including the properties that can be added to your search terms to narrow and refine your results.

author:name
author:patrick
Finds items with patrick in the author property.

author:(name)
author:(patrick hines)
Finds items with patrick in the Author property.

author:(name OR name)
author:(patrick OR bob)
Finds items with patrick or bob in the Author property.

author:name name
author:patrick bob
Finds items with patrick in the Author property and bob anywhere in the document.

Finds items with patrick in either fromName OR fromAddress, since "from" is a property name for both fromName and fromAddress.

before:date
before:10/9/2007
Finds items whose PrimaryDate field contains a date before 10/9/2007.

after:date
after:10/9/2007
Finds items whose PrimaryDate field contains a date after 10/9/2007.

has:attachment
report has:attachment
Finds items containing the word report that have attachments. Same as hasattachment:true

is:attachment
report is:attachment
Finds items that have attachments containing the word report. Same as isattachment:true

Numbers and ranges
To specify a date range, type the property followed by two dates. For example, type from:david sent:11/05/06..11/05/07. Windows Search recognizes all Windows date formats and also recognizes the following values:
Relative dates: Today, tomorrow, yesterday
Multi-word relative dates: week, next month, last week, past month, or coming year. The values can also be entered contracted, as follows: thisweek, nextmonth, lastweek, pastmonth, comingyear.
Days: Sunday, Monday ... Saturday
Months: January, February ... December

Size and date ranges
	Syntax	Results	

size:>50KB <70KB
Searches for files with a value in the Size between50 KB and 70 KB, excluding the end values.

size:>=50KB <=70KB
Searches for files with a value in the Size property between 50 KB and 70 KB, including the end values.

size:50KB..70KB
Same as size:>=50KB <=70KB

date:>2/7/05<2/10/05
Searches for a date in the Date property between the values 2/7/05 and 2/10/05, excluding the end dates.

date:>=2/7/05<=2/10/05
Searches for a date in the Date property between the values 2/7/05 and 2/10/05, including the end dates.

date:2/7/05 .. 2/10/05
Same as date:>=2/7/05<=2/10/05

Note: on Windows Vista and higher, search syntax supports dates in the user’s current calendar. A query can use any of the formats defined in their Regional Options.

Common file properties
The terms listed in the preceding table can be used with any of the following file properties. For example, to find e-mail from "patrick" that was sent in 2008, your query would look like this: kind:email author:patrick after:12/31/2007.
	To restrict by file type	Use	Example	

Communications
communications
kind:communications

Contacts
contacts
person
kind:person
kind:contacts

email
kind:email

Instant Messenger conversations
im
kind:im

Meetings
meetings
kind:meetings

Tasks
tasks
kind:tasks

Notes
notes
kind:notes

Documents
docs
kind:docs

Music
music
song
kind:music
kind:song

Pictures
pics
pictures
kind:pics
kind:pictures

Videos
videos
kind:videos

Folders
folders
kind:folders

Folder name
foldername
foldername:mydocs

Programs
programs
kind:programs

Recorded TV
tv
kind:tv

Link
link
kind:link

Journal entry
journal
kind:journal

To restrict by file store
If you use multiple e-mail accounts and you want to limit a query to either Microsoft Office Outlook or Outlook Express, you can use the store: indicator to narrow your search scope.
	Store	Use	Example	

Files
file
store:file

Offline Files
csc
store:csc

Outlook
mapi
store:mapi

Outlook Express
outlookexpress
store:outlookexpress

Properties for file type: All
	Property	Use	Example	

Title
title, subject, about
title:manager

Status
status

Date
date
date:lastweek

Date modified
datemodified, modified
modified:lastweek

Importance
importance, priority
importance:high

Size
size
size:>50MB

Deleted
deleted,isdeleted
isdeleted:true

Is attachment
isattachment
isattachment:false

To
to, toname
to:johnsmith

Cc
cc, ccname
cc:david

Company
company
company:adventure-works

Category
category
category:business

Keywords
keywords
keywords:sports

Album
album
album:greatest

File name
filename, file
filename:2006hits

Genre
genre
genre:jazz

Author
author, by
author:david

Folder
folder, under, path
folder:adminstration

Ext
ext, fileext
ext:.rtf

Tags
tag, keyword
tag:personal

Type
type
type:image

Properties for file type: Contact
	Property	Use	Example	

Job title
jobtitle
jobtitle:manager

IM address
imaddress
imaddress:[email protected]

Assistant's phone
assistantsphone
assistantsphone:555-1212

Assistant name
assistantname
assistantname:roberto

Profession
profession
profession:accountant

Nickname
nickname
nickname:louis

Spouse
spouse
spouse:susana

Business city
businesscity
businesscity:redmond

Business postal code
businesspostalcode
businesspostalcode:98052

Business home page
businesshomepage
businesshomepage:[url]www.adventure-works.com[/url]

Callback phone number
callbacknumber
callbacknumber:882-8080

Car phone
carphone
carphone:555-1212

Children
children
children:anna

First name
firstname
firstname:maria

Last name
lastname
lastname

Home fax
homefax
homefax:555-1212

Manager's name
manager
manager:carlos

Pager
pager
pager:882-8080

Business phone
businessphone
businessphone:555-1212

Home phone
homephone
homephone:555-1212

Mobile phone
mobilephone
mobilephone:882-8080

Office
officelocation
officelocation:red/101

Anniversary
anniversary
anniversary:yesterday

Birthday
birthday
birthday:tomorrow

Properties for file type: Communications (e-mail, appointments)
	Property	Use	Example	

From
from, organizer

Received
received, sent
sent:yesterday

Subject
subject, title
subject:budget

Has attachment
hasattachment, hasattachments
hasattachment:true

Attachments
attachments, attachment
attachment:presentation.ppt

Bcc
bcc, bccname
bcc:michael

Bcc address
bccaddress, bcc
bccaddress:[email protected]

Cc address
ccaddress, cc
ccaddress:[email protected]

Follow-up flag
flagstatus
flagstatus:followup
flagstatus:unflagged
flagstatus:completed

To address
toaddress, to
toaddress:[email protected]

Due date
duedate, due
due:10/15/2008

Read
read, isread
isread:false

Is completed
iscompleted
iscompleted:true

Incomplete
incomplete
incomplete:true

Has flag
hasflag, isflagged
hasflag:false

Duration
duration
duration:>120

Properties for file type: Calendar
	Property	Use	Example	

Recurring
isrecurring
recurring
isrecurring:true
recurring:true

Organizer
organizer, by, from
organizer:jonas

Properties for file type: Documents
	Property	Use	Example	

Comments
comments
comments:excellent

Last saved by
lastsavedby
lastsavedby:josh

Document manager
documentmanager
documentmanager:jonas

Revision number
revisionnumber
revisionnumber:4a

Date last printed
datelastprinted
datelastprinted:yesterday

Slide count
slides
slides:>20

Properties for file type: Music
	Property	Use	Example	

Bit rate
bitrate
bitrate:>150kbps

Artist
artist, by
artist:U2

Year
year
year:1977..1987

Album
album
album:"greatest hits"

Genre
genre
genre:rock

Lyrics
lyrics
lyrics:"happy birthday to you"

Track
#, track
track:12

Year
year
year:>1980<1990

Properties for file type: Picture
	Property	Use	Example	

Camera make
cameramake
cameramake:nikon

Camera model
cameramodel
cameramodel:eclipse

Dimensions
dimensions
dimensions:8x10

Orientation
orientation
orientation:landscape

Date taken
taken
datetaken
taken:last
datetaken:6/12/2006

Width
width
width:33

Height
height
height:66

Flash mode
flashmode
flashmode:no flash

Properties for file type: Recorded TV
	Property	Use	Example	

Broadcast date
broadcastdate
broadcastdate:2005

Channel number
channel
channel:7

Closed captioning
closedcaptioning
closedcaptioning:true

Date released
datereleased
datereleased:2007

Episode name
episodename
episodename:zeppo

Properties for file type: Video
	Property	Use	Example	

Name
name
subject
name:vacation
subject:hawaii

Ext
Ext
filext
ext:wma	
filext:wma

Last edited:
Under the start menu, type anything you want and it will be found if indexed. Give that a go and let me know if it works?

You can also search in Explorer:

42644_Search-Search.png

Image from neowin.net

No. Let's say I just connected an unindexed hard drive containing 10 billion various files only two of which are *.txt files, only one of which contains the word 'MyIndexingIsTurnedOff'

What if 9 billion non *.txt files also contain the same term? This is an elementary search, why can't I do this quickly and easily Microsoft?

Attachments

• Search2.jpg
    Search2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 12,400
Last edited:
Huh? You can only type a search term there, but then what?

What if I get a 10000 hits... where are the search options to narrow them down??

Last edited:
There's a Custom button with no real 'custom' options, look

Attachments

• Search3.jpg
    Search3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 12,425
Start typing into the search box. The taskbar will then show an option "Search Tools". Click that, then turn on Search Pane, and you'll have the advanced options.

search.JPG

That's Vista. I'm talkin'bout 7.

Sorry 'bout that. I was trying to keep from starting my Win7 VM, and I thought they were setup the same way. I'm in Win7 now trying to find the advanced search. No luck so far... :^/

Edit:
I'm not sure how comprehensive it is, but a dropdown appears when you start your search to add a filter. You can pick Date Modified or Size.

No luck so far... :^/

Edit:
I'm not sure how...

Do you see how crazy this is? Why are we having trouble with this... on a major computer forum.

This should be easy to find for someone with much less experience than us, not only that, it should be easy enough to do in 10 seconds or less... even for someone with limited comp experience. What were they thinking!?!

Last edited:
Do you see how crazy this is? Why are we having trouble with this... on a major computer forum.

This should be easy to find for someone with much less experience than us, not only that, it should be easy enough to do in 10 seconds or less... for spomeone with limited comp experience. What were they thinking!?!

Well, the basic search with a couple of filters I'd say is easier, and it was a case of the stupids on my part. I don't like the way you can't use more advanced options though. It seems to me a radio button with advanced search would be the way to go. You should be able to click that, and get a box like I have shown for Vista. Maybe there's a way to get that, but I have to do some more poking around.

Of course, let's see if we can figure it out, I'll take this to newgroups if we can't here. I'm just having trouble getting past us having to poke around... the mere notion of it...why?!

These search functions were already there. They redisgned them. To achieve what? To prevent us from using them to do what they are supposed to do? Let's say you're doing this for business and you have to go through a million files. This is crucial.

EDIT: It can be done but only if you have an advanced degree in Windows 7/8 Search Engine operations and know by heart specific commands to type in.

omg. I did some searching and it looks like we might be looking for something that's not there.

You can't search system files.
You can't search hidden files.
They say you have to turn these on before search, *every* time instead of just hitting a checkbox.

You can't search inside only *.txt or *.doc or other file types specifically. So you can't modify among potentially thousands of returns from different file types.

You can't include/exclude subfolders. Forget about a case sensitive search.

It appears you can do a date search but you can't type in size limitations, only a few size ranges of Microsoft's choice. I am speechless.

They've completely gutted the search engine. As I see it, someone can make a pretty penney by creating a simple search program for Windows 7...

Last edited:
Yea, I haven't found much. You get more options if you search from different places. One of them is the Explorer window you get by right clicking the start button. The problem is, I never use that, and the options aren't that great, or easy to manipulate. I really don't search much, but people that do will find it anemic.

It appears that this is now about finding a simple third party program that can do a search using Windows XP parameters.\

Edit: Just tried Google Desktop. It does a lot of things... except for searching your desktop using basic, basic parameters... :bang head

Last edited:
i am mostly missing that you can't search for computers
you used to be able to search for computers and devices and just typ in the name or part of it and it would crawl the network and display them even if they are not in the same domain/ workgroup. no go for this in vista or win7

So yet another thing to be added to the list in post 13.

I'd really like to find out what the reason for this decision was. [I know Microsoft couldn't make an OS which would allow you to simply move a file to the left or to the right without crashing the OS so that's why you can't disable file auto-arrange in Windows 7] but what is the reason for disabling search options?

So yet another thing to be added to the list in post 13.

I'd really like to find out what the reason for this decision was. [I know Microsoft couldn't make an OS which would allow you to simply move a file to the left or to the right without crashing the OS so that's why you can't disable file auto-arrange in Windows 7] but what is the reason for disabling search options?

I doubt if it was a "decision" per se.

It was probably more like a "cocktail."

if you ask me, it's because they want people to stop using their OS. *rimshot*

Add "Search..." back to the right-click menu. not a fix, but a nifty hack that worked on vista, worked on my RC 7100:

1. Click Start.
2. Type regedit in the Search Bar and press Enter.
3. Browse to the following registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Directory\ shell\ find
4. Locate the LegacyDisable subkey. Rename it to LegacyDisabl.bak
5. That’s it. The hack is over. From now on whenever you will right-click on any folder you will see the Search… option again.

I noticed on my RC, also, that as soon as I click in the "search" bar i get a little menu that pops down saying "add a filter" and has "Date Modified" and "Size" options. It's the first time i've actually tried to search bar in win7 so this is all new to me. I never tried the search in vista for that matter too, i keep all of my documents on a linux box.

once "search..." is back in the context menu, that drop down actually gives you "kind: type: date modified: size:"

I'm sorry but this is hilarious, just like the response that you get from people familiarized with Office '03 when you switch them over to Office '07. I know because today is the day where I'm doing a lot of said installs. Just another Microsoft optimization. I can't wait to get home and play with this on my 7 install.

Back