• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF for my new E8400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Well atm I am using the stock Intel cooler for my new setup (see top rig in my sig). I wanted to get something that'll allow me to unleash a few more horsepower out of this beastly CPU lol. I would like it to be fairly easy to work around, and something that doesn't use those stupid stock Intel push pin type mounting brackets.

I don't plan on going nuts with OC'ing, but I was hoping to get 3.5-4.0ghz if that isn't asking for much? Not sure what these chips are known to clock too, haven't really read up much on what people are getting out of them.

You can do that on a stock cooler since you probably won't need to bump voltage to hit those clocks.

You can do that on a stock cooler since you probably won't need to bump voltage to hit those clocks.

He probably won't need it for 3.5ghz, but he probably will for 4.0.

I'd say max the system out on the stock cooler. If you aren't happy with what you get do some reading and pick out a solid HSF combo to take you where you want to go.

I've been out of air cooling for 2+ years now but I think the TRUE120 is the current champion and obvious recommendation.

There are probably a few HSF setups that are somewhat cheaper ($10-20) that will perform comparably if bang for the buck is your game...I just couldn't tell you any.

Hey thanks all for the reply! Didn't know the stock cooler could give me a 500mhz+ OC. I am using AS5 on it, so hopefully that'll let me squeeze a few extra mhz then normal.

I don't really like the 9500 only because my case fans cause turbulence and harm the cooling abilities it has.

Back