• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is the i5 2550k not so popular?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HomerPepsi

Registered
I hardly see mention of it around the web. Seems like it would be a good option for overclockers.

Know stability and performance of 2500k, minus the IGP. Considering lots of people use discrete GPU's, it would seem like a no brainer to purchase this over the 2500k.

What am I missing? :confused:

I didnt even knew it existed until a couple weeks ago myself!

What is the point of NOT having an iGPU? What if the discrete card crapped out? Nice to have an iGPU to fall back on for a few dollars more.

It doesnt affect overclocking either so...... 6 of one half dozen of the other is the case to me.

Whenever I've checked the price, it's the same or more expensive than the 2500K. That, combined with what EarthDog, doesn't make it particularly compelling. Now if it was $20 less than the 2500K...

didnt they release a while after the 2500k? i thought it was a typo the first time i seen 2550k a few weeks go in another thread lol everyone probably just bought the 2500k at release and by the time that released everyone overlcocking had a 2500k

The 2550k has no onboard GPU and a 100mhz higher stock speed. The 2500k has onboard GPU and overclocks just as well as the 2550k, and is cheaper. There's essentially zero reason to own a 2550k short of just getting a good deal on it or wanting to run at stock speeds. But who runs a k series at stock? You might as well just buy a normal 2500 in that case.

I see. SO it's essentially a bad marketing scheme, saying that for $10 you can have .1 ghz faster processor.

Dirty play, intel..:sly: Unless there is an actual advantage to the IGP instructions being skipped..?

Well, you'd hope that with a disabled IGP you'd get less heat output and/or less going wrong at high frequencies making for better overclocking. It doesn't seem that that's the case, though.

Intel's just trying to sell chips with a failed IGP section instead of throwing them away, and they probably bumped up the speed by 100MHz to make them an easier sell. But I don't think retailers are paying nearly as much attention to those as they are to the 2500K and 2600K, so the pricing isn't competitive.

The Intel® Core™ i5-2550K is just the not so pretty sister of the Intel Core i5-2500K. It was only released back in November and hasn't caught on but it has helped to ease the demand for the Intel Core i5-2500K since some people have asked for a processor without the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) believing that it added a bunch of heat to the processor and stopped it from overclocking as well.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Back