• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Debian Network Install - Mirror Choices and Additional Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScottAALucas

I will be installing Debian on an Intel Pentium 4 530 computer. I need to select one of the following links for the official net install images for the "stable" release. Which of these would be appropriate for my computer?

[alpha] [arm] [hppa] [i386] [ia64] [m68k] [mips] [mipsel] [powerpc] [sparc]

The website in question can be found here.

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Any additional information regarding the installation of Debian, including specifics about the network installation or installing on my hardware, would be appreciated.

ScottAALucas said:
I will be installing Debian on an Intel Pentium 4 530 computer. I need to select one of the following links for the official net install images for the "stable" release. Which of these would be appropriate for my computer?

[alpha] [arm] [hppa] [i386] [ia64] [m68k] [mips] [mipsel] [powerpc] [sparc]

The website in question can be found here.

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Any additional information regarding the installation of Debian, including specifics about the network installation or installing on my hardware, would be appreciated.
Well, what kind of hardware do you have? If you have an AMD or Intel cpu, that's i386. If you have an Intel Itanium (which you don't), that's IA64. If you have a half-way recent mac, that's PPC. Really old Macs are m68k. Sun makes the sparc, but they also make i386 boxes. The alpha was made by DEC, which went belly-up a while ago.

You probably have an i386.

Gnufsh said:
Well, what kind of hardware do you have? If you have an AMD or Intel cpu, that's i386. If you have an Intel Itanium (which you don't), that's IA64. If you have a half-way recent mac, that's PPC. Really old Macs are m68k. Sun makes the sparc, but they also make i386 boxes. The alpha was made by DEC, which went belly-up a while ago.

You probably have an i386.

He's running a Pentium 4...so its an i386

It is an i686 technically, but it is of course backwards compatible with i386 code.

If you had both i386 and i686 as options, then those with Athlons and p4's would choose i686 to get better performance.

Back