• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

seti question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdmcnudgent

my girlfriend has a gateway 2.26 system with RDRAM mem. thing that sucks about gateway, is that even though she has a 533 bus cpu, they only put pc800 in the computer. i called and argued with them about putting the right mem in the system, 1066, and they said that is wasnt tested enough, so thats why they put pc800 in the system, and the down fall is that they have the memory running only at 3x. my question is, what do i need to have my cache set at with the seti driver, because she only has dial up and everytime a unit gets done, it goes to idle. i had it set to 30/30. what is the best to set it at?? thanks.

set it to have enough WU to crunch for to whenever the interval between each upload, plus a couple days over to be on the safe side.

btw, "try" (i know it's most likely not) to see if there's any rdram setting in the BIOS of that gateway. see if you can activate x4 ratio, even tho that might means you'll need new memory....

My bet is the ram they installed is probably capable of running 1066 - most recent modules can do it. Having said that it's another matter whether or not you can change the setting in the bios. My guess would be no, but it's certainly worth looking.

TC said:
My bet is the ram they installed is probably capable of running 1066 - most recent modules can do it. Having said that it's another matter whether or not you can change the setting in the bios. My guess would be no, but it's certainly worth looking.
i looked and tried the very first day she got it.;) it is some off brand mem, and i swapped out her 2.4b for my 2.26, cause that is what she was supposed to get and they messed up and put the wrong cpu in, was a great one too, did 160fsb on default voltage.

so am i going to idle because i need to get all the wu's downloaded before i get offline?? should i set maximum to 1 and desired to 10??

w/ the P4, set the max. process to 1 (of course unless it's hyperthreaded), and set the cache to about 4-7days worth of wu. that P4 should be able to do at least 6-7wu/day, = to 30-50wu cached. that way, you could be sure that even w/out upload for about a week, your machine will still have work to do.

btw, you will still be crunching even when your are up/down'loading wu, if you didn't empty out the cache.

go jdmc! keep recruiting more computer to the cause, thats the way to do it, really. :D

so now i got it working nicely, cept the woman likes to keep the computer on stand by while shes not using it, but i have been outsmarting her. so my question is, does seti just dump the units each time she or i gets on line??

If you are using setiddriver, you can chek the setting "auto-transmit".

The real question is about her Internet access: is is always on (cable , ADSL,...) or on-demand (dialup, ISDN).
If is is always on, then auto-transmit, else, NO

papounet said:
If you are using setiddriver, you can chek the setting "auto-transmit".

The real question is about her Internet access: is is always on (cable , ADSL,...) or on-demand (dialup, ISDN).
If is is always on, then auto-transmit, else, NO
that was my next question, can i do auto transmit with dialup??

Auto transmit won't work if the computer isn't online when it needs to dump the result. Why not leave auto transmit off tehn let the computer finish however many WU's until next time you are able to access her computer and manually dump the results.

Burning Phoenix said:
Auto transmit won't work if the computer isn't online when it needs to dump the result. Why not leave auto transmit off tehn let the computer finish however many WU's until next time you are able to access her computer and manually dump the results.
that sucks, because it was taking sooooo long today when i was dumping them.:(

Back