• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pocket PC folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. $T$

Is there a way? Because Pocket PC are getting faster and faster so maybe stanford should think about it? :eh?:

u mean like a palm? lol those are still sub 100 mhz for the most part.. some maybe 133mhz but i dont think its worth it because they wont be fast enough to do it effectively for a while to come

max

Yeah, it might take some time for stanford to right the program for pocket pcs. If they do, it will be written for windows CE, the os used on pocket pcs. I doubt they will write the program for Palm OS. Also f@h will take up a lot of space on a pocket pc. I don't think it is worth it.

in time I think we will see some solid state HDD disks, much like the super small iPod drives so maybe it is not so unfeasable as you may think, only time can tell ;)

I don't see it happening anytime soon. Out of the people who fold, those who have pocket-pcs fast enough to fold and meet the deadlines will be a very tiny minority. Also, are those things even designed to run at 100% for extended periods of time? It seems like they would be very likely to overheat, Joe American using his phonebook and looking at word documents a couple hours a day isn't going to come close to taxing that 400mhz CPU.

Even if you could why would you want to?

Those things I doubt could fold as quick as a Cyrix.

Have you ever seen a Cyrix fold?

I rest my case.

Toysrme said:
Even if you could why would you want to?

Those things I doubt could fold as quick as a Cyrix.

Have you ever seen a Cyrix fold?

I rest my case.

I bet it ain't purty :)

It would drain the battery quickly thats for sure. I was playing solitare for about 30 minutes on the Axim and the battery went down to 75%. Yes, you can buy the battery upgrade, but still who would want to turn off/or keep charging their pocket pc after every couple of hours due to F@H draining the battery.

It's something they should be considering for the future - also maybe they should look at getting a PalmOS version too because it's going to be built into a lot of these new smartphones. I mean leave the Gromacs and Tinkers to the real machines but I'm sure they could handle some Genome stuff and it'd be so cool to have your phone folding 24/7.... :)

Back