• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The fastest video cards without power cable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artas1984

Looking for a VGA for my cousin..

Radeon HD5670 is the fastest video card that does not require an additional power cable? The second fastest is Radeon HD4670?

What about nvidia cards? GT 240 is the fastest? Or green editions of 9600GT and 9800GT, which are actaully rare to get...

Anyway the PSU of the PC is 300W Asus, but the system uses little W, since only 1 HDD, 1 DVD and single core Athlon 64 LE 45 nm CPU are installed, so he is fine with his 300W.

How good is GT 220? Is it better than a 7600GT?

I want to upgrade my cousin's 7600GT to a video card that does not require addition power and is kinda cheap. 7600GT really sux on AA and higher resolutions. He can't even play FEAR with AA on it, and without AA FEAR looks horrible. He could not get good frames on Battlestations Pacific no-mater how low the settings would be.. I am trying to persuade him to change his 7600GT, because there is some cheap dirt out there for what i know.

Just talk about the cards and their performance please, do not recommend to buy anything from internet, because we will search to buy in local sites or used cards.

That single core Athlon is fast going to become the bottleneck in that system. I'd be wary about dropping too much cash on a new GPU as you probably want to look at a new CPU/Mobo/RAM combo in the not too distant future if you plan to use that for games.

+1. He really needs a new CPU, at least a dual-core at around the same speed, before he starts upgrading to current GPUs.

My brother is currently using my old Athlon 64 x2 system with 4gb's ddr2 800 and he has a gt220 in it and he says that he can rip through Mass Effect 2 with a resolution of 1440*900. Obviously, he doesn't play on high settings, but the game is playable none the less.

A well then - it means no upgrade for another year, my stupid cousin wants to play new games from time to time, but he does not like the idea of changing anything and spending money.

Ye, i know, that sounds stupid, having in mind he can spend lots of money on new speakers or telephones..

It was hard enough to force him to move from Athlon XP 1900+, 768 Mb DDR, GF 6200, 80 Gb IDE HDD and VIA chipset mobo to Athlon 64 LE-1620, 2048 Mb DDR2, GF 7600GT, 320 Gb SATA HDD and DFI M2 SLI mobo..

It happened only due to the fact hat his HDD broke, and so i said that it ain't worth to buy a new HDD on that old system...

Gosh, he better not ask for me next time to install him FEAR 2..

Anyway how is GT 220 compared to 7600GT? I kinda know how good GT 240 is in genreal..

The GT220 is better than the 7600GT in every aspect; memory bandwidth, pixel fill rate, texture fill rate, shader operations, and vertex operations :D

Back