• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i need a UPS at least as powerful (in watts) as my PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Registered
I have the Corsair professional 750w and i want to buy a UPS to handle the pc. I also think of connecting a couple of more things, like a monitor, and a hifi system. Do i need a 750w UPS and then more powerful to fit the rest of the stuff? Should i think of the max consumption the pc can draw, or should i think in terms of the "average" power usage the system will draw (much less than 750 at normal usage)?

the best way is to stress test your computer and see how much watts your pulling, then add some head room, you have a multimeter? or you can do what i did and just get a 1000watts psu so i know i would be ok, btw it will only last like 5 min on full load, but its great when your gaming and the power goes out and you can still play for a few :D

the best way is to stress test your computer and see how much watts your pulling, then add some head room, you have a multimeter? or you can do what i did and just get a 1000watts psu so i know i would be ok, btw it will only last like 5 min on full load, but its great when your gaming and the power goes out and you can still play for a few :D

Thats the thing, a 1000w decent UPS is at least 300 euros.. i was hoping i could get away with something cheaper. I already have an APC with 440w maximum wattage. So i guess it would be enough if i am NOT gaming?

Depends on your system. If it's in your Sig I cant see it cos I'm on my mobile... But most rigs arent going to pull 1000w gaming.. lol.

Edit. Got home. I see no sig. You won't need 1000W UPS..

What's the rest of your rig? Everything? Any UPS around 500W is most likely enough for you to be honest...

Last edited:
Depends on your system. If it's in your Sig I cant see it cos I'm on my mobile... But most rigs arent going to pull 1000w gaming.. lol.

Edit. Got home. I see no sig. You won't need 1000W UPS..

What's the rest of your rig? Everything? Any UPS around 500W is most likely enough for you to be honest...

My new powerful system is almost ready (asus rampage iv gene, i7 3820, 16gb Genesis HyperX Kingston, Corsair Force GT 120gb, Caviar Black 1TB, Corsair Professional 750W), just deciding on the gpu, i m between a gtx 670 and an hd 7950.

I also plan to have connected a monitor, a hifi and electronic drums. Are you sure i wont need the 1000w UPS?

Go the 670 if the price is a non-factor.

If you've got a lot connected; I'm not sure then.. I have no idea what type of hi fi system you have, electronic drums? No idea how much power that would take. Is there a particular reason to connect these? The idea of UPS is to make sure you have time to close things properly/don't lose data and power down your machine. Not to keep things running after powers out.. Why would you connect drums/hi fi o.o

If you haven't bought your system yet.. Um. Consider the i7 3930k? :p. I'm sorry I can't help but suggest it.. I hate seeing someone go the top end 2011 platform and buy a quad-core. If you're going to do that; go with Z77 LGA 1155.. Seems silly to me =(.

Anyways; your system under; say; a gaming load; will never really surpass 400-450 watts. But that's only assuming you've got your Monitor (For the computer only); and your computer itself plugged in to it. Adding the monitor say 50w for a typical monitor these days? So 600W UPS should be enough? Something along those lines.. Again assuming you're not connecting your hi fi unit and such to it.. Unless you hi fi unit and durms are all on the same power board simply because you're using your computer in tandem with all this?

(After all of this.. I'd just go the 1000W anyway to be safe hahaha :p)

If i get surge protection for the pc, i get protection only in the case of lightnings and OVERvoltages. What if i get a power stabilizer and surge protection connected to that? Do i get the same ups safety from over and under voltages, MINUS the power on minutes after a power shortage?

Back