• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dracknem

The PS3 is now official. It also looks much better than X-box 360 imo. Anyway, all the info is over here on ign from Sony's press-conference.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614619p1.html

up to 7 bluetooth controllers apparently. lol, what does one do with so many? And apparently you can link it to PSP with wifi.

I think Xbox360 looks better IMO with the ability to custimize it. Would be nice to have more information on that nvidia video card that :) . Also says theyre running Unreal 3 on it, so it already is better than Xbox360 :p

CPU

Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU

RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound

Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth

Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance

2 TFLOPS

Storage

Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O

USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller

Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB 2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP)
Network (over IP)

AV Output

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

I think that it looks sick, thank God they decide to go with new controller design and it also has better hardware specs than Xbox 360 (ummmmmmmm can you fell the cell power :drool:)
And once again I will be getting both of the consoles (IESO till then).

i dunno i am going to have to hold the new design to know if i like the new feel so umm sony if you're reading this just promptly send me a console and a few controller units to see if it gets the big approval :drool:

Odie812 said:
2.5" HD, like in notebooks I reckon.

I know, but what type of announcement is that? It will have a 2.5" HD, but doesn't say the size. :p

Phoenix87 said:
Also says theyre running Unreal 3 on it, so it already is better than Xbox360 :p
Please elaborate. What I understand is that there was a Unreal 3 Engine tech demo on the ps3. What I also understand is that Gears of War, the first official U3E based game is confirmed for xbox 360 and there are already screenshots and a game clip available for it.

So please, explain to me how a tech demo that the xbox 360 is already proven to be capable of makes the ps3 better. :confused:. I'm not flame baiting, I'm just seriously confused by your logic.

There's already an interesting poll at [H] regarding the cost of PS3. I'm wagering the $400-500 ballpark. Anybody?

The thing with new consoles is it doesn't matter how high the price is, if they price it at $600-900 people are still going to buy it. I remember when PS2 came out you couldn't find it anywhere and I came accross one at EB Games and they sold it to me for $500 with one controller and no mem. card.
Point, if you want to get one of these (either Xbox360 or PS3) you need to go down to your local game dealer and put a pre-order on one or otherwise you can forget about getting it when they come out.

I'm wagering it won't be too much higher than X-box 2 (refuse to call it 360), so probably somewhere in $300-$400.

the cell ships seem amazing so far....i am dissappointed at the design, i like consoles you can add to you home theater, I.E. stackability like PS2 but....its much much much nicer than x-box...

although i sure hope it'll out put 1080i on top of the 1080p (compatability with a future tv i will own soon)

some sad news....nintendo delayed their debut till 2006....thats not the sad part (more time in dev means better product)...their stock dropped heavily this morning

Controller = U gotta feel it to see, might be the most confortable thing ever you never know. The unit itself looks good and the specs are pretty wild...

Compare: PS3 uses dedicated RAM for system and graphics while Xbox360 shares it. Which will be better?

between the two, i prefer the "exhale" to the "bloated" look. the stock pics are nice, but this pic is less flattering
1116292002.80721.jpg

spec wise, i can't comment. i think speculation as to which will be better is futile until it hits the shelves. even then, the one with worse specs could have more games and be more popular

Back