• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compatibility Q: BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 AM2: X2 6000 or X2 7850 BE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mixednutt

Ok, I have an old rig, and I'm trying to give it just a little more juice for cheap. My bottleneck is my CPU (Athlon X2 3800+). I need some advice. Will these processors work on my current mobo? And if so, which one would be best?

Mobo:
BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard (Copied from Newegg). It is Ver 1.3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138026

CPU #1:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.0GHz 2MB socket AM2 89W

or
CPU #2:
AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Socket AM2+

or
CPU #3:
Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ Quad Core

Please help. I just can't afford to waste money. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
I read on Wikipedia that am2+ cpu's can work on am2 motherboards and vise versa, but I have also read that some older am2 mobo's don't support newer am2 and am2+ cpu's. With the info I have now I would just buy the Phenom II X4, but I honestly think that when I put it in the system then it wouldn't boot. Eek!

Well, I studied and found the answer to my own question. That motherboard only supports up to an Athlon 64 X2 5800+. So, none of these processors will work. Sad face. Oh well, I hope others might benefit from this antiquated information.

Back