• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[FAQ] Installing TRUE 120 fan brackets(also for other thermalright sinks)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

Well, it somehow it seems that a lot of people are struggling with putting the fan brackets on their TRUE 120. For this reason I decided to write this faq, so read this and hopefully you'll get it the first time :)

Using this method there is no need for any bending of the clips.

How to install the fan brackets

The TRUE 120

full.jpg

Ok, first thing you do is shove the end of the bracket in the opening as shown on the picture

dsc07520copykh5.jpg

You then turn the bracket so that it's in its normal position, so like this

dsc07522rg5.jpg

Now, it's time for the bottom part of the TRUE
This part will install with a small twist to first get it in, it isn't really hard, more like common sense( sorry for this blurry pic)

dsc07526tf9.jpg

The result should be something like this for the bottom part

dsc07527nj2.jpg

The finished result for the brackets should look something like this

dsc07528or7.jpg

Ok, next step is installing the fans,

You can only use fans with open mounting holes, so be careful when buying fans for your TRUE 120!

l_02e5642fcc0dcd885a21eae2c0e0e8b6.jpg

The way the fans should be attached to the brackets

l_8f322eb7d2568b3f3b4b722368c6b34b.jpg

Bottom

l_f620ad699d881c69c31cabaf82f8146b.jpg

Now you are ready to use your TRUE 120 with fan.

Enjoy!

Special thanks to ghost_recon88 for providing the fan and fan mounting pics

not to rain on your thread, but are their really people out there that need a FAQ / how to on clipping a fan to a heatsink... if someone needs a howto on that they shouldnt even be messing with mouting the heatsink to the motherboard. :beer:

and dont say you can ONLY use fans with open holes.... its ridicolously easy to cut out closed corner fans to work with these type of clips.

My thoughts exactly, but some time ago(few weeks) I saw a couple of threads emerge where a lot of people either bent their clips, used rubber band because they couldn't figure it out or used superglue to attach the fan.

for those people, this faq was made up, ofcourse I know that you won't ever need this, but this is for the not so experienced users, well..for users that aren't experienced with mounting the TRUE fan brackets :)

not to rain on your thread, but are their really people out there that need a FAQ / how to on clipping a fan to a heatsink... if someone needs a howto on that they shouldnt even be messing with mouting the heatsink to the motherboard. :beer:

and dont say you can ONLY use fans with open holes.... its ridicolously easy to cut out closed corner fans to work with these type of clips.

The manual for this heatsink totally sucks when it comes to mounting the fans. I myself couldn't get it figured out @ first (due to having a fan that had the bars as shown in the picture above).

I think you did a great job on the instructions with the pictures and everything... I'm sure it'll help a lot of people.
WTG :)

I like instructions like this!!

While I am not a "computer genius" I am not ignorant to how stuff works - I understand hardware very well (I am simply very mechanically inclined - I am not as skilled with software). None-the-less even though I have the skills to build most any thing I desire I always look at instructions (even if I end up modifying).
But to get back to the original "compliant" of this thread. Even the best and most experienced people have "brain farts" (or what ever you want to call it) and need a reminder of how to do something. And sometime people just have a off day and for what ever reason cant figure something out and need a little help. And something I see all the time is; some people are incredibly smart and skilled in certain areas but for some unknown reason cant for the life of them figure out something in a related field.

>>>sorry for the "rant" Ive simply been humbled in my life and was forced to realize that every one needs help once in a while and to never put down some one who needs help.<<<

BTW
Great pictures in your instructions, I could have used something like this when I got my Scythe Ninja which has similar mounts.

For what it's worth. I didn't have a clue as to how install one of these (almost bought a subpar HS because of it). I too am mechanically inclined, but WE ALL have to start somewhere for our knowledge base.
MUCH thanks to Drinkyoghurt for taking the time to post! Photo's are a bit scewed but get the point across.

I'm having trouble installing two fans. :(

Push and pull.

I want to add 1 more fan (PULL) for my TRUE but the fan bracket can't fit or something!

I'm having trouble installing two fans. :(

Push and pull.

I want to add 1 more fan (PULL) for my TRUE but the fan bracket can't fit or something!

I to am wanting to add a second fan to my TRUE but am not sure how to??? If anyone has any ideas of how other people are adding the second fan to their TRUE, I am all ears.

Also, will this be a good fan to add to my TRUE??? http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...V_Reactive_LED_Fan_-_UV_Blue_D12SM-124UB.html Or anyone know of any other 120mm fans with blue LEDs that would be good to add to a TRUE 120?

Last edited:
@Drinkyoghurt
Thank you for taking the time to write the guide/FAQ. I have not received my TRUE yet, but I'm going to be adding a fan to it. Your guide was very informative.

I had to fuss around quite a bit before I "figured" out that the bottom fan clip has to go in differently from the top one. Pretty ironic since I used to have a regular Ultra 120 and went through the same thinig...

Actually, Thermalright's website DOES say to install the fan (or was it the fan clips?) BEFORE putting the heatsink on the CPU. And now I know why--if you have the full heatsink visibile, then figuring out you had to hook through the bottom bracket becomes a lot more obvious.

I think you have to do fan clips first, then mount HS, then mount fan. (i don't think you can mount the HS with the fan in the way blocking screwholes and what not...)

ok i stand corrected.... i guess people actually need something like this... pretty sure thermalright has it on their site tho.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/u120ex/installation_cpu_cooler_u120ex.html

That's the thing, when I got my TRUE I followed those exact instructions and I'll admit it took me some time fighting the thing until I figured it out, and by that time I'd already broken one of the corners trying to force the clip in. I wish I'd seen this thread before I tried installing the clips the first time, once I figured it out the clips went in easily of course. The picture on Thermalright's website (Step 2) is confusing and very poorly detailed, it looks like they used a ****ty camera phone to take the picture. Their instructions would be much more useful to noobs if they included a link to this thread.

yeah get those brackets for sure.
don't buy the plastic ones, unless you want to remove your whole mobo to take the heatsink off or adjust anything. unless you have the clearance, I don't so I'm stuck doing it that way

Back