• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with troubleshoot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demighost

Sup all, Ive recently upgraded my fathers pc with some newer parts.

I changed it to a am2 setup with a 64x2 5200 cpu, foxconn motherboard, 4gbs of ddr2 ram, and used my old x1800xt gfx card.

I reused the case, psu, hdd, and cd/dvd rom.

NOw my problem, after the pc post and attempts to load windows. Nothing happens... All I see is the blinking underscore, Occasionally it will tell me To insert Media into correct Boot device.
I kno there are issues with windows and new hardware but I never ran into this.

Another thing I have noticed is that the motherboard does not recognize my cd/dvd rom. This was a cheaper mobo without alot of connections but I am useing the 1 ide port and connecting the hdd and dvd player with the same ide cable. I thought taking out the dvd would help so I unplugged it and still I get the same problem. Ive gone over all the connections on motherbard and everthing is correct, So WHere do I go next?

ANd without the dvd rom being recognized I cannot Re-install windows.. Help please.

Can you connect the HDD and DVD-ROM to the MOBO using the same cable? I'm not sure you can even do that (or how you would be able to connect two things to one plug)

Unless I'm completely wrong and they make such cables.

IDE cables have two connectors, a master and slave.

Sounds like the power connection to me. Check that the molex power connectors are pushed in fully for the hdd and cdrom. If they are fine, i would check your bios, it should tell you what key to press if your not sure already, usually DEL or F2. On the first screen that pops up it usually lists the hdd/cdrom devices that are connected, or they may be under some info subscreen.

If they both show up in the bios, then they are detected. Next i would check the boot priority for the devices. Its usually labeled Boot 'something' for a subscreen label. If the bios has the hdd listed as the first boot device and there is no OS on the hdd, then it will do as you said its doing. If you want to install windows, you have to set the cdrom to be the first boot device, then it will check your cdrom first, if it finds bootable media, it will load that.

might be a master/slave issue as well that's causing the drives not to detect, probably not, but you never know.

But you will ahve to reinstall windows after your upgrade, even if it works, it'll definitely not be optimal. You'll have old drivers kicking around in there for sure.

Nick

Ive gotten into the bios before, and the hdd is detected but not my dvd rom, Ill go back and check for master slave. How should it be setup? Can they both be master? SInce hdd and dvd are two seperate types of devices? Or will one need to be a master and the other a slave. I will go check to see and move around some jumpers

try setting the dvd/cdrom drive to slave or cable select, i get a problem like this from time to time with my old machines and thats what fixes it for me most of the time

I set the HDD to master and the dvd t cable select, and then I had to change a atapi setting in bios but I got it working!! NOW just to do a fresh install of windows, thanks for the help everyone.

Back