• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best AGP vid card for 26A requirement?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dpapag

What is the best AGP video card that the rig in my sig can support without having to get a new power supply. The Enermax 350W that I have has 26A on the 12v rail. I wanted a HD3850, but it requires 30A and I don't want to drop the extra money on this old system.

The HD3850 is about 120W max. So 30A is an exaggeration.
I don't think you'll have much problem with one of those. But I think your CPU may hold such a card back quite a lot.

I've got a mobile barton 2500 on the way, so I plan to run it at 200fsbx12.5
Will that be enough along with 1 Gig of PC3200 to effectively get the benefits from that card?

Uh, save your money. Cancel the Barton ASAP. Buy a whole new computer. Even the cheap as dirt bottom end parts out right now will be literally 10x more powerful than what you have now.

A 2.5Ghz Athlon XP with 1GB of DDR1 is not even close to being fast enough for that video card. That processor doesn't hold a candle to an Athlon 64, which is more than quaint by today's standards. This $40 processor at stock speeds is more than twice the processor of what you plan to upgrade to. All I am saying is that if you are spending this money to try to play any game released within the last 3 years, you are in for a shock.

Here is a public wish list I made showing what I am talking about:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=10454071

Last edited:
I do agree with what Quailane sad , upgrading old systems can be costly and that cost is not justified by today standards of performance , i dont agree with his particular choice of hardware tho am sure it was just an example but still .

Back