• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First OC a success

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Braindonor

this is my first post and my first successful OC I recently got a new motherboard soltek sl-75drv5 and processor Athlon xp 2000 + and after about 10 hours I finally overclocked it and its stable @ 1.8 ghz for now hehe but I want to know what a good temperature is for it to be idling at and where I can get software to monitor the temp and benchmarking any help would be appreciated thanks :)

Welcome to the forums.

Thats a pretty good overclock, nice job:)

You can use Motherboard monitor to monitor your temps, works for me. siSoft Sandra seems to be a good Benchmarking prog.

As for temps, not everyones is the same I have noticed. It is unreal to try and match another persons temps as many conditions vary from computer to computer (ambients, Motherboard sensors, etc).

Mine runs at 40 idle and 43 load (Diode reading) or 51 idle and 53 load (on-die sensor)

The way I look at it, If my On-die reading is under 60 and my computer remains stable then I am ok.

Good Luck and Have Fun.
Al

This may be a really stupid question...but how do you know if MBM is reading on the die or off the diode??
Thanks

Codeman05 said:
This may be a really stupid question...but how do you know if MBM is reading on the die or off the diode??
Thanks

No question is stupid, thats how we learn:)

When I Setup MBM one of the Asus Sensors is marked "Cpu Diode"
Thats always the lower one, in fact Asus changed their bios to read from that one rather than the on-die one which reads about 10c higher(approx).

The On-die temp is read from the "Asus 2 CUSL2" sensor, thats the cpu internal temp so its always the higher one.

I use MBM to monitor both, I wish Asus would set the bios back to reading the higher one as I cannot set the bios to shutdown below 70c so I have MBM set to do it.:)

Other motherboards vary on what sensor they read, you have to do a lot of searching and question asking from users of a particular board to find out the details on it.

Hope this helped.
Al

Last edited:
Codeman05 said:
Thanks

One way to test which sensor is the on-chip diode is to set MBM's response time to 1 second (General-Basic-The interval time...). Then with the dashboard being displayed, run a cpu intensive program (prime95 or setiathome for example) and watch how fast the temperature changes occur. You can then stop the cpu intensive program to watch temps drop. The on-chip diode should change temps much faster than an in-socket sensor.

I think that you will find that the Asus4(CPU diode) setting is in fact the on-chip diode. I have not tried the CUSL2 sensor as is specific to the Asus CUSL2 motherboard and has a "fudge factor" value that is added to the in-socket reading. Check out MBM's website for info on the CUSL2 setting.

I just noticed (shame on me for not re-reading your post first! <g>) that you do not have an Asus A7V333 motherboard so I don't know if MBM will read the on-chip sensor for your motherboard. One thing to check out is if your motherboard actually supports the on-chip diode readings. It may not. Testing like I suggested will help determine whether your motherboard supports reading the on-chip sensor. The on-chip diode sensor increased from the idle temp to max temp in about 12-15 seconds. When I stopped setiathome, the drop in temp took about the same time. The corresponding temp changes with the in-socket sensor took about 50-75 seconds to equilibrate.

Last edited:
Back