• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New X25-V and HD configuration HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Doors

Vesuvius Senior Ocer
Hi guys,
Finally I jumped on the SSD wagon and got 2 new X25-V 40Gb which I would like to use in Raid0 for OS and Apps and use the 2 Seagates, now in Matrix Raid 0+1 config, for data storage, if possible in Raid1 config, but before to go I need of all your Expertise to swap in the fastest and smoothest way possible.

So first I would like to know which is the best free Sw to use to backup the Raid0 data on the old disk to swap on the new Raid0 setup I will build on the SSD disks.

Second which is the best way to move the Data I have stored on the Raid1 Volume into the new configuration setup: my idea is to copy data on a spare disk and then move them again on the new config will have the 2 Segates disks.

Third due probably to an Ubuntu install I'm forced to use as Boot disk in Bios the spare 320Gb disk where I had in the past the XP instead of the Raid Volume and I would like to use if possible in the new SSD config directly the New Raid Volume as boot device.

Thanx in advance and feel free to ask any details you will consider useful,
Adriano

Meanwhile I updated Firmware of the SSD drives to 2HD, and as expected the Utility not detected the Disks due to the fact the RAID was Enabled in the BIOS, simply Disabling this option and restarting, as stated also in the Manual, all went fine :)

And waiting for Backup Sw suggestions I'm using Acronys Trial version which seems so far one of the Best Sw availble on the market..

Hey, I'd avoid trying to use a backup image of your old drives. I think your best of reinstalling windows and the programs you need. You may run into performance issues from cloning the drive (anandtech has an article explaining this)...so I'd recommend a fresh install. Also make sure your using the appropriate stripe size (I think 128k is recommended) and then align the partition to 128 as well, before the install. This will optimize your setup.

As for backing up everything else...Acronys was what I used for my array backup (normal mech HDD's though) and it's a good program.

But I'm having difficulties understanding what your trying to do with the seagate drives...you said you had 2 drives in RAID 0+1....that requires 4 discs so I'm confused with how your doing it. I know matrix raid allows a combo of say half of both drives in a RAID 0 partition, the other half in a RAID 1 partition...but that's not 0+1...

Thanks a lot for your help, I will follow your suggestion and reinstall a fresh Win7 to get Best results, I also completely removed the OLD Pata Disks, but still the 320Gb even if detected in the Bios is not present in Windows, will try to swap the Sata cables because the disk is working on the same Sata2 channel of the Optical drive and probably is there the problem.

What is not clear to me exactly is the meaning of 'Align' the Partition, after have created the Raid volume, and sorry for my previous statement, I'm exactly using a Matrix Raid, Not at all a Raid 0+1.

W7 should automatically align your partitions properly. After you get windows installed, confirm alignment by running ASSD. You should be in ACHI mode and it will show in green (good) or red (bad) your alignment. It usually 1024, not what aj mentioned...

Thanks but where I can find ASSD?

Disks are now in AHCI mode, but which is the more appropriate config for my disks, I will explain better my config Now:

Intel controller (6 Sata ports) -> 2 X25-V + 2 Segate 500Gb
Gigabyte Sata2 Controller (2 Sata Ports) -> Maxtor 320Gb + Optical Drive Sata

What I would like to do is to use the X25-V in Raid0 for sure using the Intel Controller, and the 2 Seagates in Raid1 on the Intel too if Possible, or I'm forced to move on the Gigabyte Controller???

The Intel controller should be able to do what your trying to do....Just create a RAID 0 array with the X-25's and RAID 1 with the seagates, all on the Intel controller and your fine...Also earthdogs correct on the 1024 alignment I was mistaked with 128!

Really thanks guys, now is much clear, and sorry for the 200 questions all together :p

I just Moved the Maxtor Disk on the Intel controller and is Finally detected in W7 too, so next steps will be to create a Raid0 Volume with the 2 SSD, then destroy the Matrix Raid present on the Segates, then go with a fresh W7 install.

Any idea about the fact I Must use as Boot Disk the Maxtor instead of the Raid Volume? Is it an expected behavior or the Grub loader present on the Disk is generating issue. I tried in all the way to remove it but without any luck so far..

Ok here I was able to create the Raid0 Volume with the SSD disks:

Attachments

• SSD Volume.jpg
    SSD Volume.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 247
And here the Speed Test of the Raid0 Volume made with 2 X25-V: not bad for a 200 euro investment :clap:

Attachments

• SSD SpeedTest.jpg
    SSD SpeedTest.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 240
Sorry, my bad.. I just finished to reinstall W7 + Apps and all is really really Faster than before!!!

The only prob is how to change the old Matrix Raid config without loosing data: using IRSP I deleted the Raid0 Volume but I would like to Resize the Raid1 Volume too to use all the left disks space, but performing the oparation I get an Unknown error, any idea?

And also a small drop in the Performance compared to previous results obtained before to install W7, of course Cache back is Enabled and I disabled Memory dump, but there is somethinf else to setup to Obtain Best Performance with SSD?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 336.406 MB/s
Sequential Write : 83.240 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 268.330 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 85.454 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 22.245 MB/s [ 5430.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 85.604 MB/s [ 20899.4 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 194.960 MB/s [ 47597.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 84.286 MB/s [ 20577.5 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 30.5% (22.7/74.5 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2010/04/11 20:08:30

Thanx

Attachments

• IRSP Error.jpg
    IRSP Error.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Sorry, my bad.. I just finished to reinstall W7 + Apps and all is really really Faster than before!!!

The only prob is how to change the old Matrix Raid config without loosing data: using IRSP I deleted the Raid0 Volume but I would like to Resize the Raid1 Volume too to use all the left disks space, but performing the oparation I get an Unknown error, any idea?

And also a small drop in the Performance compared to previous results obtained before to install W7, of course Cache back is Enabled and I disabled Memory dump, but there is somethinf else to setup to Obtain Best Performance with SSD?

CrystalDiskMark 3.0 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 336.406 MB/s
Sequential Write : 83.240 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 268.330 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 85.454 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 22.245 MB/s [ 5430.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 85.604 MB/s [ 20899.4 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 194.960 MB/s [ 47597.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 84.286 MB/s [ 20577.5 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 30.5% (22.7/74.5 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2010/04/11 20:08:30

Thanx

Hey just a question.. how long on average does it take for RAID to initialize on bootup?

From the moment I Press Power Button up to W7 login screen is getting about 45 seconds using 1.20E Raid Firmware, previous Versions was Much slower..

Back