• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much power do i need

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bri1

im new to all this and i whanna do some serious overclocking with my new comp and ima be using watercooling how much power will i need?

500 good?

whatever system you have, make sure to buy a quality psu. 500w of a cheap company is pretty much a waste of your money.

telling from your other thread, you are looking for a quiet psu

OCZ and Fortron won't be quiet, what you want is Seasonic, the S-12 series is highly acclaimed.

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 said:
telling from your other thread, you are looking for a quiet psu

OCZ and Fortron won't be quiet, what you want is Seasonic, the S-12 series is highly acclaimed.

I can't hear my OCZ running at all.

DeepScience said:
I can't hear my OCZ running at all.

people have different tolerances for noise, silentpcreview couldn't recommend the OCZ

Graphicism, the 380W Truepower was once on the recommended list from silentpcreview (taken off because it's been too long since reviewed), I'm running the one with one fan that comes with the Sonata, it is a pretty quiet PSU but absolutely not silent, and not as quiet as a lot of PSUs like the Seasonic S-12s

ckj, the stock AMD cooler noise is unacceptable to me, and silentpcreview couldn't recommend the AX500-A fortron bluestorm either

like you said people have different tolerances for noise so it may be not be quiet enough for silentpcreview but it may be quiet for others

Yah don't go just by what SPCR says, the S-12 series is a good choice though. The rails are low but Seasonic backs them up by actually being able to utilize all of that power and with high efficiency.

silentpcreview is the bible to all who have faced unbearable computer noise ;)

but seriously, bri1 wants a quiet psu so why not do it right the first time instead of finding out that it's too loud later? the S-12 is good AND efficient AND quiet, i see no downside but the price which isn't too bad

oopse forgot to say that i will be using a dfi lanparty 3200+ 1gb ocz ram 1hd 1 vga think 6800 or something one of the higher end 6800s and ill have a good water cooling unit in my case with a dual 120 radiator and a swiftec pump the strong one i think its 655

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article260-page1.html heres a review on the 450w version, it says Antec SmartPower II is quiet but ramps up when you draw more power, the 500w is modular which is nice, it's cheap but not as high quality as the usual recommended units but it isn't poor quality either - it's good but not great, if you're not doing anything extreme or out of the ordinary with your comp like extreme overclocking (must reach 3ghz on the 3200+ or something) then it should be fine

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 said:
ckj, the stock AMD cooler noise is unacceptable to me, and silentpcreview couldn't recommend the AX500-A fortron bluestorm either

It's too loud for me too. Notice how I never gave my opinion. :) I'm just saying so as reference. Although My new SI-120 makes slightly more noise, it's only the rush of air which i've gotten used to, so tolerances change. :shrug:

This power calculator should help you .... LINK-A-DINK ;) .

It will atleast give you some idea of how much power you'll be using/need . Try and leave yourself 75/100 watts headroom for future upgrades , etc.

Back