• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much of a difference does it make when AS "breaks in"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

^wargod

The other night i didnt feel like leaving my computer on, as i always do, so i turned it off. Next day i power up, check my temps and it's down to 22c, i figured the diode might have gotten cold and needed warming up. 3 days later im still at 22c from 31c idle.
I havent bothered to see what it is at load, too lazy ;p
I remember someone stating that to let AS break in, it has to heat up, then go back to room temps etc, would breaking the compound in make this much of a difference? if so, yay, or are my readings possibly off.

Specs:
NF7 rev 2
2500+ @ 3200+ (layed off my overclocking for now ;))
AS5
SLK-900 with zalman 90mm fan.

Case temps are 17 right now, go around 20.

also CPU disconnect function is off.

I'd guess the readings are off. I've experienced a similar 'problem' with my NF7-S where it would read very low temps (low 20's like you have) then on the next reboot, or power-cycle it would go back to normal. This has happened 2 or 3 times. Try to turn it off, then back on and see if it is still reading the same.

AS breaking in should make at most a 2C difference.

yea i noticed that too, after turning off then on for a couple of days, i noticed my temp droped about 5 degrees... not too bad

3-5 degrees is the most of a load temperature change I have noticed, and even a little difference like that is always a welcome one ;). Perhaps your room temperature has changed?

Send here up to prime load, and see if it's at all similar to your 'old' load temperature, that will resolve the question :)

i used the creme stuff, my load temps are almost 10C lower, closer to 7, but still. i'll have ot reseat it after i lapp, but still. i was impressed...the first few days it stayed kinda warm for me, but i figured i'd let it deal with it....then it got lower, day by day :)

Back