• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No BOINC'in on small a harddrive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skab

Went to put BOINC on one of my farm units that's running WIN2000 on a 1.5 gig harddrive and it no fit. Not enough room! Shoot, now I have to clean the basement to find another small drive.

My BOINC install only takes up like 6MB. I know there is a preference in the settings to limit the amount of space it will use up. By default I think it is set up for like 100GB. Does anyone here have enough WU to use 100GB. I set mine for 1GB for the max, and havent had any trouble.

You need to change your prefs on the boinc website to adjust max hard drive usage accordingly.

I can't even get the program installed on that hard drive, just keeps saying there's not enough space. Well I've got two other machines I'll be migrating over this weekend if the workunits keep flowing so I'll just leave this one till the last.

Xtc4u said:
they're still flowing, even with the MD5 errors they still goin. Suprisingly enough. Anyone want to start placing wagers on how long it will be til the next outage?
Friday...

He he I think monday afternoon. They discover some sort if failure over the weekend and decide to replace the database monday evening. And it will probably last all week...

I just hope they don't try to make any "tweaks" to the system on friday. Those seem to always go bad, and result in no workie all weekend.

example:
September 10, 2004
A minor bug was discovered causing work units to be sent out and credits granted. Not knowing how to deal with this, we applied a fix to the scheduler code that has resulted in the scheduler misinforming users to upgrade to version 9. Due to the weekend we are short handed and short on time. So the fix will take longer then expected.

I would have to agree with TC and say Friday but not due to any outage.

They will most likely just put all services back to alpha on Friday so
they can join the validator for the weekend. Weekend Family Reunions. :rolleyes:

My cache doth runeth over. :thup:

Returning to the original question, before you activate any of the BOINC projects, log into any of them (SETI in this case) go to your account, and the should be a general preference link in the page. Click onto it and you get into the BOINC preference (you can have separate profile for the home, school or work PC) there you should be able to ñower your HD requirements.

On a second thought, you are saying that you have WIN2000 in a 1.5 GB disk. Is that enough to have blotted Windows alone? I checked my XP Pro installation and it's over 1.5 GB by itself.....try removing unnecessary programs and cleaning the temp files.

Saw this post this morning:

September 9, 2004
Stats are now available on your cell phone. See 'Your Account' for the URL.
This feature was developed by Carl Christensen of CPDN.

Note to Berkeley: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GET THE DARN VALIDATOR WORKING BEFORE YOU SETUP STATS BY CELL PHONE!

Okay I'm off the box now.

While we're at it I couldn't resist modifying yesterday's boinc status:

September 8, 2004
Yesterday we discovered that when result files are lost, say due to lousy backup procedures (restores involve neither the DB nor the ULDL directories) the validator ends up in a endless loop. This is not actually a problem since the validator is rarely doing anything to start with. The entire result set for an affected workunit gets ignored and after a while the validator ends up enumerating only affected workunits and is thus in a loop. We couldn't care less when we discovered this because there aren't any workunits to enumerate at this point. Today we have coded a fix (we think) and are testing it in the alpha project. In other words it's already gone into regular service. While the validator is off credits are not given but they might show up once we turn the validator back on.

The coffee maker continues to run well.

TC said:
While we're at it I couldn't resist modifying yesterday's boinc status:

September 8, 2004
Yesterday we discovered that when result files are lost, say due to lousy backup procedures (restores involve neither the DB nor the ULDL directories) the validator ends up in a endless loop. This is not actually a problem since the validator is rarely doing anything to start with. The entire result set for an affected workunit gets ignored and after a while the validator ends up enumerating only affected workunits and is thus in a loop. We couldn't care less when we discovered this because there aren't any workunits to enumerate at this point. Today we have coded a fix (we think) and are testing it in the alpha project. In other words it's already gone into regular service. While the validator is off credits are not given but they might show up once we turn the validator back on.

The coffee maker continues to run well.

The only reason the coffee maker works is because that's leased from a company that has a service tech come around twice a day and maintain it.

SkyHook

Back