• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need recommendation on ram. thanks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok, it is an Abit NF7-s mobo, running on an AMD 2500+ mobile. I want about 512 of ram for under 100$. The mobo doesnt support dual channel.

The NF7-S SUPPORTS dual channel like any good motherboard (except with some RAM). I'd say also go with the Kingston Valueram or order some Buffalo Technology RAM off of newegg, only 89 dollars or so for a 512 MB stick. I'd go with valueram w/ BT-D43 chips over that though (you can get them @ your local best buy, circuit city or costco and yes compusa doesn't carry kingston[a pc store doesn't carry kingston but costco does....]).

woudlnt i want to go w/ at least pc3200 for overclocking? and also, what is the cheapest i can get dual channel sticks of 512(2x256) for? thanks.

i wouldnt mind paying a little more than 100. But i want good ram that will make it easier for me if i wanted to overclock later on. Im thinking of 2x256 sticks for now. Im not sure between DDR333 or DDR400. or PC2700 or PC3200. Can anyone help with my setup? thanks.

Im running on an AMP athlon XP. I hear dual channal is not that great for it. SHould I just stick w/ single channel? and as stated earlier, what type of ram would be best for overclocking and performance. thanks.

The Mushkin that I linked to earlier is good from what I have read anyway. Just don't get some generic something that is really cheap.

:D :D :D

LInked below are some sites that are specific to the NF7. Among the topics are ram suggestions. Right now, in my opinion, the best value choices for the Abit are (1) Kingston ValueRam with either the (a) Hynix "bt-d43" or the (b) Micron "-5B C" chips, both of these which are mostly found (and getting harder to find by the way) in 2 x 256, or (2) Buffalo PC3200 w/Micron "-5B C" chips (currently out-of-stock at newegg since last night). The Buffalo is a 512MB stick and the Crucial PC3200 should use the same chip (but not always). The Crucial is sold retail at stores like Best Buy, but it sells for about $150 plus, where it is around $90 at newegg.

There are several active threads that discuss all of the above ram, so check them out, as well as the links. You may choose to go a different direction, but at least you'll get some additional information on which to base your decision. Good luck.

http://s6.invisionfree.com/underclock/index.php?showtopic=53

Sorry guys, can't get the second link to work. You'll just have to type it in. Below is the home page, NF7 article is listed on the left side.

http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm

Well, at least that link works...

Last edited:
Reefa_Madness said:
Among the topics are ram suggestions. Right now, in my opinion, the best value choices for the Abit are (1) Kingston ValueRam with either the (a) Hynix "bt-d43" or the (b) Micron "-5B C" chips, both of these which are mostly found (and getting harder to find by the way) in 2 x 256, or (2) Buffalo PC3200 w/Micron "-5B C" chips (currently out-of-stock at newegg since last night). The Buffalo is a 512MB stick and the Crucial PC3200 should use the same chip (but not always).
Well, at least that link works...

when ordering online, is there any way we can be sure we are getting the "bt-d43" or "-5b c" chips??? or is it luck of the draw??

thank you

Last edited:
Mostly luck of the draw, unless.....

There is no way that I know of, except maybe from some of the more "specialized" vendors, of requesting specific chips.

My "technique", if you would call it that, for getting the chips I want is to find the ram I am looking for (actually, the chips that I am looking for) at a retail store where I can do a "visual" to verify the chips. I then buy that ram, say Kingston valueram for example, and then for the next couple of weeks, while still within the store's return period, look for sales or MIR on the kingston, either online or at another brick & mortar store. If I can find it on sale, I make the second purchase, without caring about the actual chips, I just want to buy the same product, with the same UPC label. I return, for a refund, this second purchase of the "same" product to the place that I purchased the original ram. I end up getting the chips I want, at the sales or net of MIR price. The store where I made my original ram purchase has the same retail product to sell and is out nothing.

There have been some people that have claimed that what I do is wrong, but I don't think so because the original vendor has the same unopended product to sell as he did to begin with. To them (the stores) it does not matter which chips are in the ValueRam, their only interest is having the ValueRam in a saleable condition, unopended and undamaged in any way.

I believe that you can do the same with the Crucial w/Micron chips. I have seen them for sale at Best Buy for about $150 per 512MB stick, they are $88 at ZZF for the same stick. First, verify the product code at BB is the same as what is being sold at ZZF. You then buy it at BB, set it aside and buy it again from ZZF. When your stuff comes in from ZZF, if it is Micron with the -5B C chips you keep it and return your original purchase to BB, or if it is not MT-5B C, then you keep the original Crucial purchase (with the MT -5B C) and return the stuff received from ZZF with diff chips to BB, where you made your original purchase. As long as you are returning the same product (same UPC), then no one is out anything. What is all this trouble worth? Purchased from BB: 2 x 150 = 300, plus sales tax (depending on where you live) or purchased at ZZF: of 2 x $88 = $176, savings of $124, which is a nice sum in my book.

By the way, it is best (easier) to return items if your original purchase is by credit card or cash. Purchases made by checks can cause trouble because some stores have policies which state that they will issue refund checks from Corporate (read: slow paying) offices when the refund exceeds a certain limit, usually around $200. It can take several weeks to get your money back if the original purchase was paid by check.

Daggumit, I am LONG-WINDED, aren't I?

hehe, thanks for the post... i would do the same thing... i just picked up some kingston... but since i have semi short term memory, i picked up "at-d43" chips... heh... i will prolly return this, because its EXPENSIVE... and its kind of hard to match their bar code...

thanks agian

I actually saw PC3500 Simpletech on sale for 255 with a 40 dollar mail in rebate=215 dollars at zipzoomfly. Call me crazy but it seems like a decent deal.
LINKAGE.

Or you could always get something like this.

BTW, you cannot run dual channel without two sticks, 1 GB will suit you better as games pretty much will need it from now on and that corsair value select is 79 @ zipzoomfly with 2nd day air UPS shipping free. I'd have to say in terms of service newegg and zipzoomfly are equal but zipzoomfly ALMOST ALWAYS beats newegg within a few dollars per item.

As a testament to their great service, I ordered two HDs and a GB of RAM. Both were delivered in perfect condition and work to this day. Also, shipping took three days total, including the one day it took to package, charge the order,etc. and two days to actaully ship from California to my house (1 day faster than newegg).

Also, only invest in those chips if you want a really high overclock, otherwise just get the cheapest namebrand stuff you can find that will do PC3200 or so in response to what I and others said earlier.

ADDED: CAS setting is important in AMDs but when you OC to say 250 FSB and are stable, you get a hell of a lot more bandwidth and a better OC with that then 200 FSB @ 2-2-2-11.

ADDED: But then again, here is an instance where NEWEGG is cheaper. 8 dollars less for the simpletech
LINK I'd pick myself up a pack if I could get rid of my BH-5 KHX3000 that doesn't want to OC past 185.....

Last edited:
i picked up a few boxes of the hynix bt-d43 chips... is there a certain batch i should be looking for?? or all of them about the same??

also, what are the advantages of having a dual channel??

Back