• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help an AMDroid crawl back to intel...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhobMX

Hey peeps, my dad needs a new puter so i thought ill let him have this one and i build up a ultracool one once and for all... now i have to decide what to get:

AMD Setup

AMD AthlonXP 2100+ (very likely to oc up to 2300-2400MHz) $85
Asus a7n8x $150 :eek:
keep my ax7, thus buy a cheapo fan for current comp $12

Intel Setup
MCX400B $50
Asus P4PE $116
Intel P4 C1 .... WHICH ONE??

Other than that, i will buy cheapo stuff for my dads comp and recycle my hd, case, tornado and stuff.

Im an AMD fanboy now because i had not that much money at the time i bought my current comp, but dad has some major $$$ thus im considering the premium intel needs... Theres just a big if...

I WANT TO HIT 3.0-.2GHZ ON AIR FOR SURE NO BS!!! Otherwise i will just go the cheap and secure way and get amd again.

If my oc knowledge is right, i must hit for the lowest rated c1 in order to take advantage of my current memory and thus a high FSB. Could you guys pls post the memory dividers available on this mobo for 133+MHz FSB???

So pls suggest a place to get ensured c1 batches for lets say, a p4 1.8ghz c1...

Sorry if i sound demanding, any help appreciated

... uh ... did you know that intel has a 3.06 ghz proc? cause if yer dad has the $$$ then why not START oc-ing at 3.06. and its hyper-threaded no less! anyhoo if you're trying to keep costs down go for a 2.6 or a 2.8. and asking which setup you should go for in an intel forum is kind of a rhetorical question.

then again if you want to hit 3ghz on hair with a 1.8 then ask wait until someone greater than comes along...

Kronos138 said:
... uh ... did you know that intel has a 3.06 ghz proc? cause if yer dad has the $$$ then why not START oc-ing at 3.06. and its hyper-threaded no less! anyhoo if you're trying to keep costs down go for a 2.6 or a 2.8. and asking which setup you should go for in an intel forum is kind of a rhetorical question.

then again if you want to hit 3ghz on hair with a 1.8 then ask wait until someone greater than comes along...

i dont think a 3.06ghz p4 would overclock that much, it has a high multiplier so i wouldnt get as much memory bandwidth as needed. Ive read some posts and ppl is getting 3ghz with 2.4s , im just curious on why the 1.8s and 2.26s dont get that high... which batches should i aim for?

PhobMX said:
oems= sl6rz

retails= sl6ef

after reading, i think the best bet is to get a 2.4b .... am i right?

Depending on what chip you get yea, the 2.4b's are the best bang for your buck right now (esp after Intels price drop).

People are getting 3ghz off of stock voltage on (i think) those sl6rz's...thats madness

well got a 3.06 to 150fsb on air and memory at 400mhz, thats with stock hs, with a slk900 and a hefty fan on it u'll be likely to hit 160fsb, and ur memory would be in the 420's, and ur chip would be flying at almost 3700mhz :D with ht :D

Kingdom said:
well got a 3.06 to 150fsb on air and memory at 400mhz, thats with stock hs, with a slk900 and a hefty fan on it u'll be likely to hit 160fsb, and ur memory would be in the 420's, and ur chip would be flying at almost 3700mhz :D with ht :D

He could also wait for the 800mhz FSB chips, and spend $200 (or more) on a 2.4 w/ HT (thats what i'm doing)

timmyqwest said:

He could also wait for the 800mhz FSB chips, and spend $200 (or more) on a 2.4 w/ HT (thats what i'm doing)

Oh god, what a sad idea.

anyway, PhobMX,

any C1 2.4b at this time should hit at least 3.0ghz....
with little to no overvolting.

the p4pe is a great choice if he doesn't need RAID or SATA...
if he may need this in the future, then abit's it7 max2 ver.2 is a great choice....better then the P4PE.

you'll need great memory, the xms3200 or xms3500 is the only choice I would recamend at this time.

heat wont be much of a factor....so a quiet fan to top off that HS you picked will be fine.
BTW...you may want to see if you can get away with only the stock HS and fan that comes with the CPU. if you only need 1.6v or less for 3.0+ghz, then I'll bet a better HS will not be needed.

if you can wait, the newer dual DDR mobos will be comeing out soon.(I would wait if you can...it's all about the bandwith.)

skip the newer 800mhz chips...no overclocking room at this time.

good luck
mica

Kingdom said:

My 3.06 runs happily at 152 x 23 = 3.5 Ghz with Dual Channel DDR at 304 x 2 = 608 Mhz. Stock Intel HSF

micamica1217 said:

skip the newer 800mhz chips...no overclocking room at this time.

good luck
mica

We dont know that for a fact...and if "it's all about bandwidth" then why wouldnt yuo want the new chips...

i would seriously consider getting dual ddr but that mobo alone goes bery high above my budget, i currently have a corsair pc3200 512mb, but i read dual ddr only works with pc2100, am i right???

i dont need raid or sata since i already have a nice drive and im satisfied with it, not to mention another hd would skyrocket buget too. I better spend on a good heatsink since temps here in mexico are somewhat higher than yours heheh, so every ºC counts, but i still want quiet cooling so ill use my current tornado and nexus multipanel to tweak noise/performance.

i meant big $$ like $200 more than i would get so i maybe shouldve stfu lol

thnx for your help dudes, if i really come to buy a new puter expect me to surf this forums more ;) :beer: :D

Back