• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Modstream 520W or OCZ Powerstream 520W?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyperasus

OCZ Modstream 520W or OCZ Powerstream 520W? Which one is the quietest? Is there another brand that is quieter but still has the quality?

How does the Powerstream do for noise? My current Fortron PS treats me well but I cant take the noise anymore so that is why I am buying a new power supply.

I would say it's pretty quiet. Definitely not loud. Talking from experience.

Like someone said before me, you won't be disappointed. Great psu.

hyperasus said:
How does the Powerstream do for noise? My current Fortron PS treats me well but I cant take the noise anymore so that is why I am buying a new power supply.
Compared to everything in the system I have its very definatly the most quiet. Plus the fans are thermal controlled...you arent gonna hear em.

if i dont care about the adjustable rails, is it really that bad to go with the modstream? i dont like cable management, plus itll be used in a midtower so i dont need super long cables. if the quality is just that much better, i can deal with non moddable.

n24tg said:
if i dont care about the adjustable rails, is it really that bad to go with the modstream? i dont like cable management, plus itll be used in a midtower so i dont need super long cables. if the quality is just that much better, i can deal with non moddable.

Of course it is completely up to your personal preferences. However you will always see us recommend performance, and reliabilty over everything else. The Modstream is not even in the same league as the Powerstream.

Powerstream Spec Sheet

If you notice the 520 Powerstream puts out 5 Amps more on the 12V then the equivlent 520 Modstream and hold all their voltage regulations within 1%.
Also did you notice they don't supply a spec sheet for the Modstream, oversight perhaps? No I don't think more like due to the fact those rails are not within 1%.
Try more like 5% tolerance on the Modstream.

That right there gives me 5 times as many reasons to buy a Powerstream. And is one of several reasons why I am so pleased with mine.

Sounds like Powerstream is the way to go, thanks guys. I'll be ordering one from Newegg today.

Yeah, I'd probably go with the Powerstream myself. Very fine power supply unit. Hope you enjoy it !

I know this thread is old but I just thought I would do a fallow up and say that after all this time of using the Powerstream I could not be more impressed. It is so quiet and has all the power I could ever want. For all you guys that pointed me in the direction of the Powerstream............... thank you very much. Its one amazing power supply.

If you don't care about adjustable rails and want silence, I'm very happy w/ my Seasonic S12 500. The 120mm fan runs at 950 rpms at load and it's the most efficient psu out there at 80% at load. I know people love their Powerstreams but I believe it's only 63% efficient or wastes 150watts at load. The S12 500 is dual rail though compared to the Powerstream's single rail.

edit: Oops, just noticed that this is an old thread.

Capt_Caveman said:
If you don't care about adjustable rails and want silence, I'm very happy w/ my Seasonic S12 500. The 120mm fan runs at 950 rpms at load and it's the most efficient psu out there at 80% at load. I know people love their Powerstreams but I believe it's only 63% efficient or wastes 150watts at load. The S12 500 is dual rail though compared to the Powerstream's single rail.

edit: Oops, just noticed that this is an old thread.

I was curious just how they achieved such a high efficiency rating. I also know that is a give and take, what you gain here you lose there. So I checked out their website. Unfortunately I was correct. Great efficiency!! , average voltage regulation.

+/-5% on all lines except -12V which is +/- 10%

I personally will keep the one percent line regulation that OCZ Powerstream and PCP&C offers and lose the 17% efficiency.

Though it does look like one hell of a nice PSU otherwise.

seasonic has been one of the best psu manufacturers for a while now, they're just not that great at marketing :)

here's a nice review of the 430w s12 unit - all rails inside +/- 2%. there's an identically-ran review of the ocz modstream 520w here that you can compare figures to - the seasonic is more efficient and much, much quieter at any load. and what the heck, here's the powerstream 470w with the same testing procedure too.

my next psu will be an s12, probably the 380w (anything over is overkill for me). it's so much quieter than any of the competition that i won't have to worry about voiding warranties to fix the ocz/fortron fan choices.

The Modstream is designed to be aesthetically pleasing, not to be a really solid PSU. It has a beefy 5VDC rail, and a weaker +12VDC rail.

For our overclocking needs the Powerstream is much nicer, with a strong +12VDC rail, low noise, adjustable rails, and excellent efficiency specs.

Last edited:
^^what he said.....

ModStream is the way to go....well provided the prices are equivalent.....they should be close i would think....

Back