• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4tb harddrives on the horizon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firey_chasm

hi,

I am just wondering if there are any rumours about 4tb hard drives being released? I am just wondering as we have had 3tb for a while now.

(trying to fit as much storage as possible into an mATX case :) )

thanks in advance

I would imagine so....... like everything it improves, gets faster, and in this case more space. When... no clue.

I wonder what the cost would be if there was no "shortage".

nice :) doesnt seem to be available in the UK (or I am being blind) lets hope western digital catch up soon (seems to be the only hd manufacturer that I trust nowadays)

nice :) still not quite sure id trust a drive from their factories. but it might mean we see a wd green drive sooner rather than later :) (my prefered storage drive)

thanks for the info guys

Hitachi, WD, Samsung. Not sure why you have issues with Hitachi, they make extraordinary drives.

its not hitachi specifically I have just tried various brands over the years and western digital is the only one that has never given me a drive failiure.

Seagate was my worst experience which I was surprised at as at the time a lot of people seemed to recommend them. (had 3 seagate hard drives accross the years all 3 have died and all be used significantly less than the WD ones (had around 10 accross the years)

however I might check out hitachi if they are still the only 4tb provider in a few months.

(the drives are only just appearing in the UK as well)

If there was no shortage it would be probably around $200-250 for the drive.

its not hitachi specifically I have just tried various brands over the years and western digital is the only one that has never given me a drive failiure.

Seagate was my worst experience which I was surprised at as at the time a lot of people seemed to recommend them. (had 3 seagate hard drives accross the years all 3 have died and all be used significantly less than the WD ones (had around 10 accross the years)

however I might check out hitachi if they are still the only 4tb provider in a few months.

(the drives are only just appearing in the UK as well)

The 7200.11 is still on my mind for Seagate, I'll avoid them. IMHO it's Hitachi > WD/Samsung > everyone else

The 7200.11 is still on my mind for Seagate, I'll avoid them. IMHO it's Hitachi > WD/Samsung > everyone else

Exactly my thoughts. Currently using 2x 2TB 7200rpm Hitachi drives for 2 1/2 years now. Also have 4x 2TB 5900rpm drives running for about a year. Not the fastest drives out there, not the most amazing drives, but of all the manufacturers they have the least negative reviews. Most negative reviews I've read all pertain to it not being the fastest or DOA from bad packaging :rolleyes:

Every other manufacturer I've read too many "Died" "Dying" "Clicking" reviews after using it for a certain amount of time. My personal experience is WD drives do fail as they have been the only brand to die on myself. My dad has had a few seagate drives die and I'm pretty sure they are the 7200.11 or newer variant. Now I've set him up with 4 Hitachi 2tb 7200rpm drives in raid 5.

Problem is I don't know how WD is going to affect Hitachi drives with the acquisition.

Problem is I don't know how WD is going to affect Hitachi drives with the acquisition.

I'm hoping they'd continue the 5.4k and 7.2k variates without the "green" functions or the "black" prices, to be honest.

Should also note that Seagate bought out Samsung's HDD division. So no more "Samsung" branded HDDs, I have one Samsung Spinpoint F3 and two Seagate Spinpoint F3 now :rolleyes:

Should also note that Seagate bought out Samsung's HDD division. So no more "Samsung" branded HDDs, I have one Samsung Spinpoint F3 and two Seagate Spinpoint F3 now :rolleyes:

Yeah i don't mind the WD/Hitachi, but I'm not sure I like the Seagate/Samsung merge. Not that we have a choice, wasn't it Seagate who bought out Maxtor and at least got rid of one bad drive mfgr?

Back