• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My water just changed color... cause for concern?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mac42

I've had my watercooling system for quite a while now... it looks pretty ghetto, but hey, it works. About 5 minutes ago I looked over at my computer and the water has turned a milky-white color. The odd part is that an hour ago it looked fine, and I haven't messed with it for weeks. I used distilled water with probably ~10% Watter Wetter and some blue dye-lite to detect leaks.

I've looked at the system and there are no leaks, and my temps haven't changed (36C load on a summer day). All of the waterblocks are copper... the only other metal in the system is a hose clamp inside the reservoir, but I doubt it waited a month to completely corrode in less than an hour. At first I thought my pump had burned out, but my flow rate is unaffected. Any ideas what could be causing this, and should I be concerned?

PIC00020.jpg

drain it and pour it into a glass.. get you some cookies and enjoy :)

j/k sound like you need to change it... sometimes alot of air can look a little milky but not that milky

I would vey, very closely at the water. Is it milky as in disolved something or is it opaque as in tiny little bubbles?
Bubbles = air leak, disolved = something is being broken down?
wj

ok, it just turned blue again after about 20 minutes... I have no idea

If in fact it changed back then I'm 99.9% certain that you were some how sucking air. Keep an eye on it.
wj

Back