• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why ORB coolers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=UR=- Ranger

Why do so many people still use the Orb coolers?
1)They cool badly,
2)They are a pain to attach,
3)Removing them is even more difficult,
4) They are noisy (thanx to "the coolest)
So why?

Opinions here plz.

Last edited:
If its a Super orb (never heard any other orb), then u forgot the NOISE
I had it installed, I changed it to Green Cooler and have the same temps with much lower noise level.

A lot of people still think the GORB is one of the best HSFs around because they don't know any better.

When the GORB arrived in Denmark it was supposed to be a super cooler, but of course the power users quickly learned otherwise (anyone wanna buy a GORB I have lying around? :rolleyes: :D). Normal users still believe what they initially heard, though...

I listened to Ars Technica, yes I have sinned and repented for it. I believed them at first when they praised the orbs, so when I placed an order for my AMD T-bird 900 OEM, I placed an order for the super mini orb as well. I thought it looked cool and I thought "Two fans at 5000 RPM and all that heatsink material?! How can you go wrong?"

I strayed, now I see the light.

~RT~

hyperbob said:
What about the dragon orb 3?

theres a heatsink roundup at Anandtech right now, and the Dragon Orb more or less sucks...
It may be enough for up to 1.2 Ghz Cpus non overclocked...
But it is expensive also....

A dragon ORB 3 is just a Mini copper orb with a new clip, colours, and that add on fan that you can buy seperately. And the mini copper orb sucked so theres not much difference. ORBs are fine for older cpus and the new orbs are fine for intels too.

We should make it our missionto tell people not to buy Orbs for their T-Birds...
The thing which makes me angry about this, that a lot of computer shops keep telling their costumers who often don´t know better to buy Orbs for that kind on CPU´s.
And afterwards we have to tell the people that they bought a piece of crap for a lot of money:(

All orbs suck except the dragon orb 3 which cools pretty well, the temps are similar to the CAK38

Mr.Clitz said:
All orbs suck except the dragon orb 3 which cools pretty well, the temps are similar to the CAK38

Perhaps You´ll like a look over at anandtech, there was a nice roundup of coolers (20) and the Dragon Orb was one of the worst and expensive also

If you want an ORB type cooler, don't get the ThermalTake ones. Get one of these bad azzes, and drill and tap the four holes in it to mount it on a socket A board.
CF-82.jpg

I could make one of these at work out of copper, I should, it would kick azz :) But for only $17 at allelectronics, who can complain?

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=220&item=CF-82&type=store

Last edited:
Back