• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little help please with a P4 1.7ghz C1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mongoled

Hello guys, Ive got a friends old P4 chip here and would like some info with regards to its overclockabilty.

Im just waitin on some parts so cant do anything with it yet so was hoping for some info abt this chip. Here are the stats:

1.7ghz/256/400/1.75v
SL5N9 Costa Rica
3125A791-1353

Ive read up a little and i know its a C1 core if this helps. I have very little knowledge of Pentium systems.

Thanxs

Well sorry to say but its not a C1 and its not a Northwood. Its an old willy. There slow and you can bearly overclock these buggers. I really don't know much on older P4's but just benchmark wise a 1.6a Northwood would beat that in tests without a problem. Correct me if im wrong on this.

correct. my willy's overclock is something rare... and it's a very bad overclock compared to northwoods...

well guy u are right it is a c1 stepping . unfortunately its a c1 stepping based on the older 18 micron process.sorry, Its not gonna crank up very well.If you are new to p4's i see how you could confuse it with the newer northwoods...

Thanks for confirming that guys for me, as for confusing it with a Northwood (flapperhead) who mentioned northwood? ;) lol.

So this is a 0.18micron chip, what were these called? Is it the Williamete core, something along those lines i think. Well i will pass the bad news onto my friend. What sort of overclock do u think Im looking at minimum wise, a 100mhz or so?

Cos if thats the case I wont bother getting better cooling for the chip.

Thanxs again any moer information would be gladly accepted.

L8rz guys.

I used to have that same chip. I got it up to 1954 MHz at 1.85v after running it @ 1904 MHz for a couple of months.

Hmm when i was looking in the mobos bios I couldnt find an option to adjust the voltage. The mobo is a GB-8IDX, I downloded the latest bios and still no Vcore adjustments.

:-(

Looks like hes gonna have to do with a tiny overclock. I dont know if this is relevant to the chip or not but when running prime95 some runs will crash on the first run whilst others will run for ages without a problem.

:confused:

If this makes any sense to anybody Id be glad to hear from you.

Thanxs to all again.

Back