• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap fx setup theory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dropadrop

The fx is basicly the same processor as the opteron right? There is alot of speculations going around about the fx being unlocked, which could very well mean the opteron is unlocked too. It seems that there is just no option to change multi in the bios of the current motherboards. I've spotted more and more talk about beta (or hacked) biosses with multi control being going around.

I noticed there are very cheap (compared to the fx anyway) slow opterons for sale, with multi control this could very well make a great setup?

There is no difference between the 940 pin Opteron 1xx and the 940 pin Athlon 64 FX.

But what is the difference between
$705 - Opteron 146
$430 - Opteron 144
$289 - Opteron 142
$248 - Opteron 140

(pricewatch.com, Sep 24, 2003)

By the way,
$762 Athlon 64 FX
$441 Athlon 64 3200

My theory was that you could pull a pin on the Opteron and get a 939-pin A64 which could use unregistered, non-ECC RAM. No way to know, though, because the data sheets for the 939-pin chips aren't available.

If you could control the multi on the Opteron, it might be a viable processor. I get the feeling that the nForce3 chipset is somehow limiting the overclocks on these chips - 220-225mhz FSB seems to be about all it can do. That's about how high I've seen most of the reviews go. *Shrug*

Shade00 said:
- 220-225mhz FSB seems to be about all it can do. That's about how high I've seen most of the reviews go. *Shrug*

Just about all of them are limited to that.. I'm just reading more and more about the adjustable multi...

But what is the difference between
$705 - Opteron 146
$430 - Opteron 144
$289 - Opteron 142
$248 - Opteron 140

I think the diferance is the multi... :D

...what is the multi on each 1xx Opteron and on the 64 FX?

I take it unlocking is not an option?

[email protected]
I think in one review they mentioned they had a non-release BIOS which allowed the multiplier to be changed. (Possibly Aceshardware) Hmm, which processor were you referring to? I'm referring to the AMD
[email protected]
So do they have an ES or is it a BIOS option?
[email protected]
im not sure i am allow to comment on that but i think its quite obvious that the BIOS option at least exists

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=227565#post227565

edit:

and still from JCviggen:
we`re talking FX here i think the A64 is definately locked in all cases

that is also suppose to be a 3000+ A64 retailing for 278. That would prob be a bettter bet since you wont need to buy ECC ram.

Well, I would definatly prefere an unlocked opteron even if you do need the registered memory. You do know corsair allready released ddr400 registered cas2 ram? :)

If the athlon64 is locked you will run into the problem of the memorycontroller not going over 230fsb, and even though you have dividers, it can get a bit complicated.

we'll even if ddr400 cas2 is released.. its still quite a bit more expensive form normal ram.. and quite useless beyond opteron and FX.. no other desktop system can use that ram and i find that wasteful

Shade00 said:
My theory was that you could pull a pin on the Opteron and get a 939-pin A64 which could use unregistered, non-ECC RAM. No way to know, though, because the data sheets for the 939-pin chips aren't available.
HAHAHAAHAH

That's gotta be the funniest thing i've read today.

Perhaps someone will figure out a pin mod for the socket to change the multi like on current Athlon's. Although there's so many pins there it might get confusing ;)

JC Viggen hacked a BIOS and opened up the multiplier option on the SK8N. Ace's Hardware used it in their review. Apparently the 940-pin Athlons are unlocked, but the motherboard manufacturers are not leaving the option enabled.

You'd have to be pretty good with hex to figure out how to unlock that option. Asus's BIOSes have a proprietary encryption so you can't get at them with modbin. :( I think the SK8N BIOS might be a Phoenix BIOS too, so that throws everything in a loop. You'd either have to get your hands on Phoenix's editor or again, be really good at hex.

Hopefully someone will come up with a solution. I did a bit of research and I just don't have the skills to do it. I'd certainly buy an Opteron 140 and an SK8N if I could have multiplier control, though.

Well, I'll just wait untill there is an option. If amd has decided to leave the 940 pin models unlocked and the budget model locked, it would imo mean that they will allow multiplier control at one point or another.

(maby when they can produce enough cpu's for demand)

dropadrop said:
Well, I would definatly prefere an unlocked opteron even if you do need the registered memory. You do know corsair allready released ddr400 registered cas2 ram? :)

If the athlon64 is locked you will run into the problem of the memorycontroller not going over 230fsb, and even though you have dividers, it can get a bit complicated.

so, the nforce 3 boards won't have agp/pci lock???? is this true, if so, how stupid

i've also read the nforce 3 chipsets are just one chip, no onboard video(or was it no onboard sound) no big deal if you ask me, less stress, less heat, W00T!!!!

Back