• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer keeps restarting!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcmaker401

hey guys, here's my pc specs:
ASUS M2N-E
AM2 X2 3800+
Corsair DDR2-800 PC6400 2X 512MB
WD 160Gig HD
Seasonic 430W Power Supply
E-VGA 7600GT KO

Well the problem seems to occur when my cousin is on the internet (this is his pc). He says that when hes on neopets or on myspace, the computer restarts, and I'm guessing that the shockwave or java applets are somehow causing this...somehow...

First time this happened, I replaced the power supply (i did folding on both cores and it restarted)...it was fine when I left, now he says its back again...

This computer is not overclocked, so I dunno why its doing this...

I haven't had the chance to fully stress test it, so any advice on which programs to test it would be appreicated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
PSU is the first thing I would've suspected too... folding is the greatest stress test in the world! You're already doing what you should be. ;) Seriously though, folding is not the quantifiable test that Super PI or Prime95 is. I'd start with a good 32M Super PI calc, then move on to Prime95 Blend test. 3DMark2001SE is good too since it is more dependant/stresses ram & cpu more than the later 3DMark03, 05, etc that are very gpu dependant.

How are the temps? Are you sure the RAM is stable? RAM is the 2nd (or 1st on some peoples lists) most likely culprit when it comes to random reboots.

agreed, look into your power supply. I sincerely doubt it's up to par for that system. My biggest mistake in the past has been not having a large enough PSU, and it can cause all kinds of problems, most of all reboots "for no reason", and BSOD.

Hardware wise I would suspect the PSU before anything else. However since you've already replaced the PSU I would look elsewhere for his problem, probably on the software side. Is he running Limewire or any Java based application? I've noticed that running Limewire 4.9.37 or earlier (haven't tried any newer versions) and playing any video clips will cause a BSOD reboot with an error in one of the Nvidia dlls. The only time it will happen is with Limewire running and video being played in WMP and happens with any Nvidia driver I've tried.

Not saying this is his problem exactly, but often different combinations of software running like that will cause exactly what your friend is experiencing. You should probably disable the reboot after crash option and see if he's getting a complete reboot or if he's getting a BSOD crash followed by a reboot and not seeing the BSOD. If nothing else the error page should point you in the right direction.

I think the computer is pretty clean for now...I told him to run two prime95, and in 30 seconds the computer did a complete reboot...I think one of the memory sticks might be bad...hopefully just one...

do you think corsair will replace one of the dual-channel sticks?

oh and the temps are a little high 38-40 idle 52-58 on load, depending if both cores are at use or split between both...but thats expected since i'm using the stock heatsink with arctic ceremic and the room is hot in general..

Last edited:
Corsair might... but I would rather them give me an entirely new kit if it were me. Buggy ram comes in bunches IMO. Maybe you've got something else that can keep him running in the meantime?

Temps are a little high but definitely within spec, especially since it's not OC'd. You shouldn't be experiencing any trouble b/c of cpu heat at this point.

Try the RAM and let us know what happens.

have you tested the system one stick at a time and ran memtest? Also i have seen this before and it ended up being the voltage coming from the outlet was not right. Put the pc on a ups and has been running like a champ ever since. Of course i am in idaho and the power companies really suck and like to fry your s*%t. Jut an idea, but i would do more testing on the memory before trying to rma a part that could not be bad in the first place. good luck

Alright guys thanks for the advice...i'll keep you guys posted on the progress...

I'm in NY and the pc is in NJ so it will take a while for this to be done...I rather return one mem stick and keep one so that he can at least still use the computer when school starts, since I don't have another DDR2 ram...

On a side note, because of this pc I realized I really need to upgrade...-_-

well I did the memtest and guess what...it passed!..both sticks!!!

I fiddled with the bios for a little like instead of auto, I specified it to be ddr2-800 and i turned CnQ off...and i changed the voltage to 1.9...

Now it works fine...guess it was something there that was causing the restarts...i think...

Thanks for all your help guys!

Back