• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap gameing system for a friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fireandice

Ok my buddy is trying to get a very cheap gameing system. About the most he can spend is $200. He needs a CPU and a Mobo.

how does this system sound?

pen D 805
ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
1gig pc3200 "have"
100gig hd "have"
geforce 6800ultra agp "have"
FSP 450watt psu "have"
Case "have"
Fans "have"

could he use the DDR with the pen d since it has the ddr slots?

Could he oc it some?

Would it be a over all deacent budget system?

Sorry dont know why it made two threads.

Last edited:
I will drop in and say my experience with the 775Dual-VSTA as I have one running my E6600 for the moment. It works just fine with DDR memory (well.. at least my Mushkin lvl1's) and should have no problems with the Pentium D 805. As for overclocking I can't really say as the most I was able to crank out of it before it didn't like me was 300FSB with my C2D. I am not sure how it would do with the 805. I hope someone else can drop in here and give some more definitive advice. If you are just looking for a cheap board then the 775Dual-VSTA is a great board for that. I have been more than happy with mine.... now just to get my P5B dlx :D.

~jtjuska

I would say so. It will be able to handle any game out now and for a while. If he finds more money later you could always drop a C2D in it later or even some DDR2 ram (taking out the DDR at that time of course) and get some nice performance boosts out of it. I really like that its as versitile of a board as it is. Thats my .02c

~jtjuska

ok cool thats what he planned on doing. riht now hes got a oc'd sempron [email protected] socket 754. he wants somthing he can driop in a better cpu and memory later on then switch to pcie

The ASRock 775Dual-VSTA is certainly a nice board for what $50 or so... I have no personal experience with the 805D's so I can't comment on it. But I know that my board will hit 300FSB but beyond that its a hard lock even trying to boot the system. Its weird to me though cause its a rock solid 300 just beyond it is a no go. Hope all this helps

~jtjuska

with that board and a 805, 200fsb would give you 4ghz. now, i'm not sure if that mobo will do it, the power draw of an 805 at 4ghz is gonna be pretty high. still, 3.6ghz should be a good goal, and would run games real nice.

so would the memory run at 400mhz even at stock clocks? im not shure how intels work lol. im a amd guy.

For a strict budget that looks like a good way to go.

For the memory, it will normally run at FSB speed. Depending on how you count it with the silly ways DDR is marketed '400MHz DDR/PC3200' would be at stock speed on a 200MHz FSB. The motherboard may have memory ratios allowing you to run the memory faster than FSB, sometimes this works well sometimes not you can run a few benchmarks to find out.

ok cool so like amd he can jack the fsb upto 300 oc the 805 and run the mem at 200mhz/400mhz on a davider

fireandice said:
ok cool so like amd he can jack the fsb upto 300 oc the 805 and run the mem at 200mhz/400mhz on a davider
there is no way you are going to get anywhere near 300fsb. the 805 is a 133fsb part, 133*20=2660mhz. with a fsb of 200, you get 200*20=4000mhz. 300*20=6000mhz, not a chance of that happening. :D

lol i ment 200.

so when gameing how much better will that system be over that oc'ed 2500+?

fireandice said:

Well, kind of, but the dividers aren't as fine-grained as on AMD motherboards and while there is usually an advantage to running the memory faster sometimes there are wierd timing issues that make it meaningless. That's why you'll have to benchmark it some.

Typical ratios are FSB:MEM, 5:4 (downclocks memory) 1:1, 4:5 and 2:3. Obviously if he can get a 200FSB he could just run 1:1 or try 4:5, 250MHz mem, if his memory is really good. If he can't get that high of an oc...say he gets around 180FSB, 4:5 would get 225MHz mem. It's not as independent of FSB or external CPU clock as on AMD systems so it all depends on what CPU oc he gets.

i dont think he would buy one off ebay. just incase anything happens and its doa he wants a place like newegg that has good service.

Back