• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird /mnt Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

Just finished installing Mandrake 9.1 on the system in the sig. First time I have tried it on any of this hardware. There were a few small issues, like the ATI drivers, but thats not a huge deal. I also think I have all the Nvidia chipset drivers working. Well heck the NIC is working, as I am on this system right now.

Now here is the problem, I have 2 other HDDs in this system, both NTFS with a total of 4 partions. They are all automounted when the computer boots, and I can access them through Konsole, however when I try to open them with XMMS to load an MP3 or with Konqueror to browse the files the applications hangs. Nothing ever happens, and I have to end up closing the window, which takes a ton of time to do. Any Ideas or thoughts?

Here is the Fstab

Code:
/dev/hdc1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_d ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdc6 /mnt/linux vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_e ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdb2 /mnt/win_f ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,umask=0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc5 swap swap defaults 0 0

This is more of a guess but maybe you could remove the iocharset lines from the NTFS entries. I think that NTFS uses Unicode for file names.

-DarkArctic

you have to give your user thats logged into KDE/running xmms

permissions to those partitions

#mount /dev/hdb /mnt/hdb -o uid=username

or

you could chmod them, which is less secure

or
you could do it the first way, except add the "-o/owner" to your /etc/fstab

Back