• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Took off my IHS, now how many pounds can I safely load the die?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RonnieG

CIMG3867Medium.jpg

CIMG3868Medium.jpg

CIMG3869Medium.jpg

Took the IHS off my E5200.

How much force could I press on it before it breaks? Yes gonna use a waterblock clamp with spring loading readout.

Wanna max it for minimum BLT (bond line thickness) for maximum cooling! to make this whole de-lidding worthwhile

You dont really need pressure but good contact.

Less pressure is bad, but too much dont change anything in temp. Ive teste with my apogee GT and even if i push on my GT with my hand really hard, temps dont move, no change.

If I'm not mistaken from Intel's spec for LGA775 CPU, the pressure is approx. min. from 25 lbf to max 50 lbf. Just go to Intel web and find for that CPU's datasheet, it should be there.

But that pressure is for cpu with IHS, not at that single cpu die. That stated IHS pressure is evenly spread by the cpu die "and" the ihs's along those black epoxy mark at the green substrate.

Suggesting you to do this HERE to have a really good pressure and to protect the cpu die from cracking/chipped corner when mounting and fastening the cooling gear.

Suggesting you to do this HERE to have a really good pressure and to protect the cpu die from cracking/chipped corner when mounting and fastening the cooling gear.

that's a neat idea. i used to do that too, only with cling wrap instead of wd40

i suppose will just have to check out the datasheets for athlonXP with plastic substrate to get an idea...

thanks

My buddy chipped 2 corners and an entire edge of his JIUHB xp1700+ back in the day and the ***** still worked fine.

Before and after temps would be great. I need to do this again, this time however I'll do it to my E5200 as well.

Back