• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What ssd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Horrerblade

So i have a question. (NO DUHHH) Any ways lol i am building a new comp and a ssd looks like some thing that i would like. Now what size ssd should i get. I don't have a lot of money but i do have some money. So should i go with 60,68,120,or 128 gb? And the OCZ petrol ssd are they any good? I can get on for like dirt cheap should i jump on it?

Depends what you do. If you're like me and just use your PC for internet, ms office, music, etc, and have data stored elsewhere (like a NAS), 60+Gb would be fine. If you're uncertain, I'd go with a 128Gb. Crucial and Intel as the de facto standard for reliability right now.

Yea but the intel/crucial are expensive do you have any other suggestions.

If you're willing to wait a week or two, deals on the Crucial M4 pop up for around $1/Gb. That said, I've had good luck with the Agility 3, but if I had to recommend something that I was certain you wouldn't have problems with, it'd be M4 or Intel. And I've used several M4s in client builds

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=100008120 600038484&IsNodeId=1&name=120GB

There's a mushkin callisto deluxe for 115 (based on the original sandforce) and then a chronos for 119 (which is sandforce 2, but uses asynchronous NAND which is slower....same drive as the agility 3). The sandforce 2 controller has had some reliability issues but they seem to be fixed.

Although I did have an agility 3 that didn't work in one of my laptops (so I had to RMA it, then I went and bought a crucial m4). I've owned a callisto deluxe for almost 2 years and its been rock solid.

I'd say get the callisto deluxe since its reliable and rock solid. Realistically you'll never notice a difference between the two as well.

Looks like the callisto has a "drive failed in xx months" club. Any Mushkin I've looked at on the egg report quite a few DOA or died in xx months.

I would recommend the Crucial M4's. They have a good balance of speed and reliability. I see them on sale at places like Newegg and Amazon from time to time.

Depends on what you do with your PC.

I mostly play games with mine and i can tell you that a +/-60-70GB drive will be to small then.

I'm also looking for a new drive and going for SSD as well.... thinking about the OCZ Vertex 4 128GB for around 150,- € / 195,- USD.

Everyone has thus far neglected the Samsung drives so far...

From my research, Samsung drives are in the same reliability class as Intel/crucial, and so far, I can agree with that. Well made products from what I have seen. I have both a 470 128gb (sata2) and an 830 256gb (sata 3). Both have performed flawlessly. There seems to be sales on the egg for those around the same times as the crucial drives so go with what you can afford with the storage space you need :)

^ I agree. Samsung's last couple of offerings (the 470 and 830 you mentioned) are great drives.

You might also try to snag a deal on a Plextor M3. I saw the 128GB for $150 the other day. It's got a five-year warranty and it's based on the same controller as the Crucial M4, but with better (much better) firmware, making it faster than a Sandforce.

Found out the version of windows makes a difference on what SSD you should look at too.

A Windows 7 install can take up to approximately 30 GB of space. and you want to keep at least 20% free.

So a 45 GB for the OS and then data stored else where maybe.

That is MY .02 worth.

I also tried to install Ubuntu on an SSD last night, no luck with that but I'm still working on it.

:attn:
WII

I wouldnt worry too much about keeping free space on modern drives...(and 20% seems REALLY high!). Some drives are already overprovisioned so there is clean space set aside for TRIM/GC and bad cells.

Not to mention, you can trim your installs quite easily. My W7 pro install is around 6GB total. Shrank my PF to 2GB, I dont use System restore or hibernation, etc...

Yeah 7ult with pagefile/hibernation disabled and some other tweaks can be around 10-12Gb

Back