• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best buy sold out of geforce4s!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

I went to best buy tonight and am supprised they already got geforce4's and also sold out of their titanium 4600's the highest end for $399 a pop. they also had mx420 for $129 and had 4 left, I guess the mx werent so popular since they had only 166MHz memory speed!

The Ti4600's have yet to officially ship yet, so how can they sell out something they never had??? The MX series is already everywhere but who cares. We got em, nothing special at all to me.

you might be right, but I saw the price tag on the shelf read $399 and said geforce4 ti4600 and there were none left. also they are selling it on their website. weird. as for the mx, you say you got plenty, do you work in a store? are they selling like hotcakes? have you seen one in a computer? hows the speed and quality?

Overclocker550 said:
you might be right, but I saw the price tag on the shelf read $399 and said geforce4 ti4600 and there were none left. also they are selling it on their website. weird. as for the mx, you say you got plenty, do you work in a store? are they selling like hotcakes? have you seen one in a computer? hows the speed and quality?

It is called bait-N-switch. They lure you in with BS claims of having it in and then say it is sold out. NOBODY has the GF4 TI yet. If somebody says you can order it know, They will tell you it is on back order as soon as you order it. I have the MX in stock and it is a fine card for the price.

8500 crushes it...of course.
the MX line is well...an MX line. it's for the masses that gaming/video editting means nothing. or very very little.

Why are so many jumping onm the bandwagon when a G3 or 8500 will do what they need heck a Radeon 7500 or G2 Ti200 will do just as well......

waste of cash imho right off the bat, wait for things to settle down people then watch the prices fall and buy then, cause you will not benefit from all the features for a while...

Cisco Kid:)

Ice Breaker 489 said:
preach on man!

7500 for life!!!...or until maybe the new games that come out need a card like the 8500 to run them...until then!!!

the geforce4 will also run todays games, but faster!!!!!!!! :)

sneakyfart said:
the geforce4 will also run todays games, but faster!!!!!!!!

i think that pretty much sums it up...well said

no my friend it will not as always the bottleneck is the monitor....i dont know of one with a refresh rate of more than 120 at a res of 1600x1200....when i can get a monitor and a graphics card that can do that and run games smoothly, then ill be impressed......you could always disable VSYNC but that causes tearing (at least on my comp)....

forget monitors....the ultimate bottleneck...our body....your eye will not tell the difference between 80fps and 180....

"no my friend it will not as always the bottleneck is the monitor....i dont know of one with a refresh rate of more than 120 at a res of 1600x1200....when i can get a monitor and a graphics card that can do that and run games smoothly, then ill be impressed......you could always disable VSYNC but that causes tearing (at least on my comp)....

forget monitors....the ultimate bottleneck...our body....your eye will not tell the difference between 80fps and 180...."

then run your monitor at 60Hz. your eyes still cant see all of the 60fps, right? and describe what tearing looks like? and also imagine running a geforce3 at 2048x1536x32 with all options on max? youd get not many fps, LOL. a geforce4 will give you 50% more, might be enough to make it smooth

Overclocker550 said:

the geforce4 will also run todays games, but faster!!!!!!!! :)

yes it will, and thats all fine and dandy but do you really need it that fast???

it will also make things in the game look prettier too right???
well while youre admiring the textures, lighting, details, etc your opponent will be mopping the floor with you in the servers you play games at.

don't get caught up in the looks, i mean its ok for a card to play your games well but there is such a thing as over kill...

Overclocker550 said:
"no my friend it will not as always the bottleneck is the monitor....i dont know of one with a refresh rate of more than 120 at a res of 1600x1200....when i can get a monitor and a graphics card that can do that and run games smoothly, then ill be impressed......you could always disable VSYNC but that causes tearing (at least on my comp)....

forget monitors....the ultimate bottleneck...our body....your eye will not tell the difference between 80fps and 180...."

then run your monitor at 60Hz. your eyes still cant see all of the 60fps, right? and describe what tearing looks like? and also imagine running a geforce3 at 2048x1536x32 with all options on max? youd get not many fps, LOL. a geforce4 will give you 50% more, might be enough to make it smooth

well i dunno, i cant tell a difference past 1280x1024 i think even AA is really not worth it....of course thats just imho.......also tearing is hard to describe, looks like the screen is segmented like when i move little lines show up on the screen....quite annoying.......also once again how many monitors can use 2048 res? mine only goes up to 1280:(.....im not saying the G4 isn tgreat..its just too much money imho......and its features will not bein use for quite some time.....i also am not aware of any games that have res of higher than 1600x1200.......

I say it's a waist of money right now. Wait til the Geforce 4 ti 4600 comes out then buy a Geforce 3 Ti500 for alot less. It will run anything out there right now. 400 bucks for a video card is way too much. If you need bragging rights and have the money to blow go for it. But I'm going to stick with my Geforce 3 Ti 200 for now.

And Nvidia is phasing out the geforce 3's so in a couple of months they should be pretty cheap.

My 2 cents.

Back