• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im fed up with my RBX... Whats Next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dwdrummer0

Registered
Hey guys.

Im totally fed up with my RBX as it is soo hard to mount right. Im looking for an alternative. heres my setup. BIX2 - ehiem 1250 - Res - RBX.

Thanks guys...

How about something that will go good with my pump? How about the whitewater?

I had the same problems in the beginning mounting my RBX. Even chipped my core :(

Did you try super glueing the nut at the back of the motherboard? If you do that it won't slip anymore when you screw on the other nuts. That alone has helped me tremendously and I don't have problems anymore

But I do agree, the mounting hardware provided by Danger Den totally sucks. :(

jlin453 said:
I had the same problems in the beginning mounting my RBX. Even chipped my core :(

Did you try super glueing the nut at the back of the motherboard? If you do that it won't slip anymore when you screw on the other nuts. That alone has helped me tremendously and I don't have problems anymore

But I do agree, the mounting hardware provided by Danger Den totally sucks. :(

I agree. The mounting bolts SHOULD be properly anchored to properly mount any block correctly. Some cases come with threaded holes on the back plane for the mounting holes just for this purpose. I use washer, 2 nuts and a 1/8th spacer for each bolt on mine. Works great.

jenkx said:
If you want to save about $850 instead of a vapo chill get a Swiftech MCW-6002
I second that vote.
The MCW should do good with your 1250 as it performs very well with low low-flow pressure systems.
check out the performance of other blocks here.
As you probably wont be getting much flow with that 6' head pump and that res, you should look fairly close to the left side of the graph AFAIK.
Maybe im underestimating the 1250, though, so get another opinion on your flowrate.

SenC.

well i had planned on getting the RBX for my a64 project, but now i think i'll switch to a Dtek WW unless anyone has problems with that block as well?

Senater_Cache said:
I dont see the RBX's mounting problems (the only problem i am aware of with that block)
affecting anything with a heatspreader.

check this out regarding Performance
Note that the WW is better than the RBX at any flowrate xcept 2.5+GPm.
SenC.
yes i've been looking at that today.

price is about the same so it was a toss up anyways. i disliked the plastic barbs on the Dtek so thats one reason i was going with the RBX.

so you say the RBX doesn't have these mounting problems on any cpu with a heatspreader? i didn't read the whole thread, sorta skimmed a bit.

i'm changing everything today :eek: was going to get a eheim 1250 but the D4 is looking very appealing and is similarly priced.

Maxvla said:
was going to get a eheim 1250 but the D4 is looking very appealing and is similarly priced.
:thup:

I dont own an RBX nor a heatspreader-cpu.
I always thought the mounting problem was due to the block's base not being wide enough to make proper contact with the 4 cushions on XPs (hence the TDXs wide base).
If that is the only problem, then theoretically any heatspreader should be fine.

SenC

Senater_Cache said:
:thup:

I dont own an RBX nor a heatspreader-cpu.
I always thought the mounting problem was due to the block's base not being wide enough to make proper contact with the 4 cushions on XPs (hence the TDXs wide base).
If that is the only problem, then theoretically any heatspreader should be fine.

SenC

Well Danger Den supplies you with four extra crush pads so you can install them yourself closer to the core.

I use an RBX and have never had a problem mounting it. For me tho the WW TDX or any other block would be just as difficult to mount since I use a P4 with the IHS removed. I have remounted it atleast 5 times from changing the plates or other things in my setup and have never had the so called bad mount. The bare core on a P4 is basicly square so even with it bare it is a lil easier to mount than the athlon XPs would be tho.
As far as the WW performing better I am not sure since the tests I trust have used the #1 plate to test it with and I use the #5 which gives me better temps. For me the #5 is more than 1°c better than the #4 and from what I can tell atleast 3° or more than the #1 that comes stock.

Yes as close as I can tell from the way I have switched things around. Dealing with the MB readings you can only be close since they arent very accurate.

What I dont understand is why you dont see sites test with either the #4 or #5 plate installed along with the stock #1 since most peole that I know of that use the RBX use the #4 or #5 plates.

Last edited:
Ancient_1 said:
Yes as close as I can tell from the way I have switched things around. Dealing with the MB readings you can only be close since they arent very accurate.

What I dont understand is why you dont see sites test with either the #4 or #5 plate installed along with the stock #1 since most peole that I know of that use the RBX use the #4 or #5 plates.
for the same reason car magazines don't test every powertrain option individually for a given vehicle. time.

Back