• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help to find cause of errors!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elva lover

ok. i say that i get a MINIMUM of 50 errors a day doing normal tasks on my computer. These errors include:

a) those illegal operation error things that say xxx.exe has caused an illegal operation or something like that. or it just says 'xxx' has caused an error in xxx.exe. xxx will now close. if you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer. (This error happens most often in Explorer, Internet Explorer and Netscape although it happens in other programs as well.)

and

b) those errors that are on white backing saying an error has occured, press ignore to continue working or close to close program (This error happens every once in a while to random programs)

i am running winME and this problem ONLY happens on this computer. (ie. the exact same copy of this winME has been installed on 3 different computers and NONE of those computers have these constant errors. In fact. they never have these errors)

I'm not too sure would this be a software or hardware problem so i posted this in both forums. But just incase it isn't a software problem here's my setup as well:

AMD T-Bird 900MHz @ stock w/ stock HSF
300W CSA Approved PSU
Kenwood 72X CDR
Ricoh 12X10X32X CDRW which doesn't work anymore
Panasonic 1.44MB FDD
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus40, 30GB 7200RPM ATA100 HDD
SoundBlaster Live! Value Sound
Leadtek GF2 GTS 64MB @ stock w/ stock HSF
Asus A7V Mobo w/ Bios 1011
2 x 128MB PC-133 SDRAM (generic?)

I hope some1 can help me out. hah because after owning this computer for over 2 years. i still haven't figured out all these errors (yes, these errors have been around for 2 years so u understand how annoying it can get)

If you think it IS a hardware problem. i hope you are 100% sure because i'm a lowly unemployed student with a life savings of $200CDN =/

I would suggest doing a clean install of Windows on it, see if it removes the errors. I've had WinME for about an year, and at first, it was good. The more I ran it, the less it was reliable. Maybe it's cause of something you installed, or uninstalled, or whatever. So, I'd say a fresh install would be your best bet. If not, at least you know it's not the OS but the hardware...

did a clean reformat on tues. and this problem happens even right after an install.. i'm leaning towards that it's a hardware problem. but hey.. u'll never know

maybe test the memory ? Download Memtest86, and try it, see if your ram is alright. If it is, I'd reseat the heatsink and reapply thermal paste, just in case it might be heat.

elva lover said:
did a clean reformat on tues. and this problem happens even right after an install.. i'm leaning towards that it's a hardware problem. but hey.. u'll never know

You might do good to run a memory testing program, like Memtest86 on it, like Minoukat said.

If that passes, try a different OS, like Win98 or Win2k.

Back