• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warning about NewEgg (my new 6800NU)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gro Harlem

Registered
Just bought one of those super-cheap $156 PNY 6800NU's off newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133148

Received it yesterday, and opened the box today.

First thing I noticed...white box, shrink-wrapped (not too profesionally i might add). The card inside was in a plastic tray along with another tray w/the manual, cable and converter. Both trays were also half-azzdly shrink wrapped.

I take the card out and inspected it, and sure enough, the DVI port had metal gashs on it as if someone had plugged it in previously. The front label on the heatsink also had very minor, but noticeable abrasions as if it had been rubbing against other components in someones system.

I figure "well maybe they test them before they sell them". So I plugged it in and first thing that I found was odd, was the CD-ROM's software didn't detect that the card was installed. So I shrug that off and download the latest nVidia drivers.

They install fine, and all seems fine. Restart, it seemed fine, until I got sent a video link. The video looked horrific. Contrast very high & bright, pixelated, horrible looking quality. I thought maybe it was the vid, but I open other vids I had on my desktop and they were the same way.

I go to play half-life 2 and it takes FOREVER to load. Once I loaded a save file my monitor would flip on and off and the animation was all choppy.

So..it seems NEWEGG repackages RMA'd peices of garbage and resells them to unsuspecting customers. I really wonder why they think someone who builds their own computer would be so stupid to not notice this. It is very insulting to me & everyone who buys from them that they think we won't notice this. You'd think they'd test the card to see if it works properly when someone RMA's it before repackaging it.

I had the "auto-notify" thing on when I ordered mine. I got an email saying it was back in stock so I bought one immediately. I bet they got a few RMA's from ppl who were unlocking pipes and overclocking them & weren't satisfied with the results, so NEWEGG took those cards & repackaged them and updated that they were back in stock.

LAME! I always had a high regard for newegg but this REALLY pizzes me off and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I already got an RMA#, but I have to pay for shipping which just sucks. If i return this one, I know they'll just ship me another peice of abused used-crap to me that won't work right.

Now I gotta re-research and figure out what card to buy, :( :bang head

As far as looking like it was previously used, It more than likely was, The card you bought was OEM. As far as it being faulty, That does indeed suck. At least you can do an RMA and try again.

It was labeled as "new oem"

I've bought OEM stuff before and none of it has ever been used.

OEM basically = less packaging and is meant for buisnesses that build comps for customers who don't need the boxes / manuals for every single component. I've never heard of an OEM product being used before being sold as "new" :Shrug:

That is correct, that would not be OEM but refurbished or labeled as a working return. Something seems a little fishy there, honestly it would not shock me now if NewEgg did that.

It would shock me, as I have never had an issue with newegg. Not to mention the the egg gets most of its business from forums like these and would be stupid to do such a thing. I would email them and let them know. maybe it was just an error on their part.

I would send it back to them and tell them that it does not work properly. The card was OEM and you had an option of choosing if you wanted to extend their 15 day(I think) warrenty. I am not surprised that the card is messed up because it is labeled as OEM. Something is usually wrong with those parts. Save yourself the headache and just get the regular stuff, not OEM or refurb. I bought an OEM AMD 64 3400 and it was faulty, so I sent it back to the egg and they replaced it no problem.

Westline said:
I would send it back to them and tell them that it does not work properly. The card was OEM and you had an option of choosing if you wanted to extend their 15 day(I think) warrenty. I am not surprised that the card is messed up because it is labeled as OEM. Something is usually wrong with those parts. Save yourself the headache and just get the regular stuff, not OEM or refurb. I bought an OEM AMD 64 3400 and it was faulty, so I sent it back to the egg and they replaced it no problem.

99% of the time there is nothing wrong with OEM things.

There is no reason to buy extras that you don't really need.

I am not surprised that the card is messed up because it is labeled as OEM.

Thats just silly. I buy all my parts OEM and never have any issues. Do you really need the instructions for a cpu or video card? He got a refurb plain and simple, OEM parts are new unless sold as otherwise. Send it back and tell them why, it was simply a mistake and has nothing to do with being OEM.

Why didn't you post this in the vender discussion? There IS a newegg rep in there. Sucks to hear that about your card, give the "Newegg Guy" a PM, and I'm sure he'll do everything he can to make it up to you.

I always worried about manufacturers trying to get rid of refurbed stuff by pawning it off as OEM, From reading the comments here it doesn't sound like it is a huge issue although it may have happened in Gro Harlems case. I do think that Newegg is quite reputable and will take care of the issue.

I got one of those cards and mine works fine besides me trying to over-OC it. Mine looked perfectly new and un touched. Performs well also. I get around 8500 in 03 stock and a lil past 10k OC'd a bit. But sorry this happened to you.

-pak

Gro Harlem said:
They install fine, and all seems fine. Restart, it seemed fine, until I got sent a video link. The video looked horrific. Contrast very high & bright, pixelated, horrible looking quality. I thought maybe it was the vid, but I open other vids I had on my desktop and they were the same way.

This is an issue with the latest 77.xx driver set. There's another thread in this forum with how to fix it in like 5 seconds.

Gro Harlem said:
Just bought one of those super-cheap $156 PNY 6800NU's off newegg.

Sorry to hear about your lose.

Sounds like you got a refurb. card not oem. I buy almost all my part from newegg as oem and never had a problem. I bought a forton 530 psu and some corsiar xms ram both retail and both doa. So it doesn't matter if it is retail or oem, cause they both can bite the dust just as easy. Except retail has longer warranty.

P.S Newegg has probably the best rma service I have ever delt with.

that is weird for that to happen. i have never had that problem with them be give them an ear full if they don't do anything. also good luck with that

Try a fresh windows before you blame the card. And if you really have a problm, hit up the Jason, the NeweggGuy (username Newegg Support). He will take care of any issue you might have. To be honest though, it sounds to me like you've got software issues and are barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited:
B1gT3x said:
I usually just stay away from OEM's.

Why? OEM's are almost always the better deal, I bought my videocard for $350 back in FEB when they were going for like $450. Major freakin steal right there, still right now they go for $380 Lol.

there is nothing wrong with your card. its the newest nvidia drivers, same thing happened to me. i dont know anything about the fix, i just reverted to the previous drivers and it works fine now.

Well the video playback thing seems to be the 77.xx drivers I downloaded, but how do you explain my monitor flicking on & off when I play any graphics-intensive game? I tried Far Cry, Doom3, and HL2 all did the same thing. I haven't tried to "tune" The card or anything. My processor would be the limiting factor anyways (its an xp2100).

Either way, the card is already shipped & on its way to CA. Hopefully they'll remedy this the right way. If the 2nd one is clearly used when I open it...well...that will just suck.

larva said:
Try a fresh windows before you blame the card. And if you really have a problm, hit up the Jason, the NeweggGuy (username Newegg Support). He will take care of any issue you might have. To be honest though, it sounds to me like you've got software issues and are barking up the wrong tree.

Ill try to find him & PM him...but why reinstall windows? If I simply shut down the computer, swap my old Geforce TI200 back in, the games run fine, no issues. HOw would windows be the cause of the problem?

Sorry but my windows doens't have extra BS installed. I have 26 processes running when I boot up & keep it that way. I do this crap for a living as a sysadmin locally so I'm always having to remove extra programs & spyware programs that people install on their desktops in order for their programs to function properly. This is definitely a hardware issue.

Last edited:
Back