• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VID in a Dell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobMonty1987

Registered
I have a Dimension 9200 E6600 (2.4ghz) overclocked to 2.8. I would like to his 3.2. Temperature is not an issue. However, its startup and maximum voltage are 1.35v. I cannot find a way to read the current voltage. I've tried so many programs -_- Has anyone had any luck reading voltage on a Dell or in a locked bios whatsoever? Also, what kind of risk am I taking by overclocking blind to the voltage like this? Anything I can't recover from? Thanks.

Last edited:
Why did you start another thread in the PSU section? Your original thread would have been fine.

The program I linked to "CPU-Z" Should tell you the correct Vcore that your chip is currently running at.

It may change very slighty according to system load, but it is impossible to increase the Vcore on your system due to the locked BIOS

Just so you know:

The VID is the voltage that the CPU manufacturer (Intel in your case) has set to ensure the CPU runs 100% stable at the stock speed.

Sorry, haha. I was actually about to post in the original thread saying thanks and restating my question here because I felt the topic changed and just wanted to abide by the rules ><

I have CPU-Z, but the core VID does not change from 1.35v. It reads that before I start, and after I reach 2.8 without change. So where can I read current voltage in CPU-Z? Thanks... I've never had to worry about voltage before.

No problem. This thread belongs in the CPU>Intel forum though...no biggy though. Thats what mods are for.

As I have said in a system such as yours the Vcore isn't expected to change. It looks lie 2.8Ghz is you limit I'm afraid.

Ok, well let me clarify about something. I haven't tried to go any higher than 2.8 yet. I ran P95 for 12 hours with no problems. I'm curious why you say I've hit my limit. I didn't mean to imply that I am having problems going past 2.8, but is there something you see specifically with my setup that would limit me to that speed? Also, what are the risks (and likelihood) of increasing the FSB further without knowing the voltage?

It was your first post in your original thread that made me think that. You said your research turned up that many users couldn't go over 2.8Ghz (or something similar) on the same system.

Most risks when overclocking are from increasing the Vcore. Since you can't do that your system will simply freeze or fail to boot/post if you push it to far. There is virtually no chance that you could do any damage to the CPU.

Crashing is the only thing I have to watch out for if my temps are ok? That is what I wanted to hear, cool. Well, dixon, you have been incredibly helpful. I guess I will now attempt 3.2, assuming my temps stay low. Any final recommendations?

Just keep an eye on those temps my friend. But at stock Vcore even that shouldn't be a worry.

I would say try keep it under 60c at full load (prime95) 70c absolute tops! Good luck :thup:

GAH, this is the problem with double posting.. no clue wth is going on in that other thread.

If you cant/dont change your voltage it wont change in CPUz. CPUz is dynamic with voltage changes.

GAH, this is the problem with double posting.. no clue wth is going on in that other thread.

If you cant/dont change your voltage it wont change in CPUz. CPUz is dynamic with voltage changes.

Amen to that :thup:

But hes new and I think hes learning :)

Hell, cant say I'm supprised with some of the other computer related sites and there lack of moderating.

He will soon get used to this being his 2nd home :thup:

Sorry for switching threads guys ><

Anyway, here are the fruits of labor so far:

bdcam2011-08-0316-46-41-442.png

Gonna sit here for a while and stress test. So far idle I am at 23c and max load about 45c. Oh and yes, I am new to overclocking. Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure you get worse. If its any consolation, I did do a great amount of research on the topic for weeks before I asked any questions or even thought of trying anything. Thrilled that I'm successful. This machine was my first to practice on before I build a new rig, but I think I might just keep it for side projects now since it isn't half bad anymore :thup:

Thanks alot for your help

Well done :thup:

Thats a decent overclock considering you are stuck at stock volts.

Run Prime95 for an hour or two and push onwards if all is good :) I wouldn't expect to much more at stock volts though.

Thanks! All seems well with it. One more question and I'll be done, I promise :D

Is there any possibility I could use this pin-mod along with my current overclock (w/ ClockGen) to go even faster? Or would that produce the same results as what I am doing now? Or should they just not be used together?

I am shooting for the stars here, right down to the Arctic Silver.

You are going to be voltage limited so using that application wont help as you are not limited by FSB or what your bios can do.

The Song Remains the Same.

Wait... I thought the whole reason my voltage was not able to be increased was because my bios is locked and I am limited by what it can do? Not to be contradictory, just trying to understand... This page here also states the reason for the mod is if you cannot adjust the voltage. Thanks

Thanks! All seems well with it. One more question and I'll be done, I promise :D

Is there any possibility I could use this pin-mod along with my current overclock (w/ ClockGen) to go even faster? Or would that produce the same results as what I am doing now? Or should they just not be used together?

I am shooting for the stars here, right down to the Arctic Silver.

Nope. Never heard of that pin-mod.

But even if it works it still doesn't increase your Vcore. And thats needed at 3ghz+

I would call it a day and be very happy with the overclock you have :thup:

Wait... I thought the whole reason my voltage was not able to be increased was because my bios is locked and I am limited by what it can do? Not to be contradictory, just trying to understand... This page here also states the reason for the mod is if you cannot adjust the voltage. Thanks

Sorry but I've never heard or seen of this done. So I cant comment.

Back