• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 advise required! thanks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
I am kinda new, so your advice MOST welcomed.

First this is my system:

Asus Rampage IV extreme
core i7 3930 bclk 100 x 47 mulitplier (4.7Ghz)
SSD HD Raid0 Corsair Force 120Gb x2 (600 Mbps)

my Mobo has 8 RAM slots. 4 x red, 4 x black (wonder if different)

Now I have some choices of RAM.

1, 8 x Kingston DDR3 1333 PC3-10700 9-9-9-24 with 4Gb (total 32Gb)

2, 4 x Corsair DDR3 1866 PC3-15000 9-10-9-27 with 4Gb (total 16Gb RAM)

Which will you pick? and why? (I want to know.)

1, does my mobo red/black slot speed differ?
2, is filling all 8 slots, better than just 4?
3, I am a gamer, and a data analyst. that's my main comp use.

Advice pls, thanks!!!!

well if your using windows 7 x64 HOME the max you can use is 16gb
but if your using pro or better the limit is something like 192gb

another reason to go for 16gb is are you even going to use 16gbs? let alone 32gb?

another thing does your mobo use 8gb sticks of RAM? if so can it go 64gb later?

i would buy 2 or 4 8gb sticks instead of going for more 4gb sticks

all thing to consider before buying ram

I am kinda new, so your advice MOST welcomed.

First this is my system:

Asus Rampage IV extreme
core i7 3930 bclk 100 x 47 mulitplier (4.7Ghz)
SSD HD Raid0 Corsair Force 120Gb x2 (600 Mbps)

my Mobo has 8 RAM slots. 4 x red, 4 x black (wonder if different)

Now I have some choices of RAM.

1, 8 x Kingston DDR3 1333 PC3-10700 9-9-9-24 with 4Gb (total 32Gb)

2, 4 x Corsair DDR3 1866 PC3-15000 9-10-9-27 with 4Gb (total 16Gb RAM)

Which will you pick? and why? (I want to know.)

1, does my mobo red/black slot speed differ?
2, is filling all 8 slots, better than just 4?
3, I am a gamer, and a data analyst. that's my main comp use.

Advice pls, thanks!!!!

next time look up your mobo and answer at least 1 of your own questions. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Rampage_IV_Extreme/

Quad-Channel, DDR3 2400 MHz
The motherboard supports DDR3 memory that features data transfer rates of 2400/2133/1866/1600/1333 MHz to meet the higher bandwidth requirements of the latest operation system, 3D graphics, multimedia, and Internet applications. The quad-channel DDR3 architecture double the bandwidth of your system memory to boost system performance.

I would get the corsair. 32 v 16, doesn't matter; 16 is fine. however, the speed difference of the faster 1866 corsair would allow you to clock the memory up a little and get better overall performance. your cpu supports quad ddr channels, so having at least 4 slots filled would be suggested. also, check the mother board booklet or their website to see which channels are to be filled with only 4 sticks, usually its something like all the red or all the black for just 4 sticks.

I would get #2. Maybe you need that ram as a "data analyst". You would know if you do that work on your current machine. ANd its possible faster ram helps there.

As far as the slots, Im not sure on your motherboard, but as dtrunk 'politely' mentioned, you can find that information out from the link he provided.

4 vs 8 slots = quad channel. It doesnt matter.

I personally would get the 16gb DDR3 1866. I really doubt that you're going to make use of 32gb of ram just playing games, but your gaming might benefit from having faster ram (1866 as opposed to 1333). With that being said, I don't know if you would really notice a difference between those two setups with your CPU (and I'm assuming you have a pretty powerful GPU also). Also, I've had motherboards become less stable when all of the dimm slots were in use. You have a pretty nice motherboard so you might not have that problem. But, I upgraded my ram once and used all of my dimm slots and my system became unstable and I had to underclock my cpu a bit. If it were me, I would go with the 16gb Corsair.

Back