• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 monitor set up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

porkchoppie

my current cpu

i7 2600k
mobo Evga z68 FTW Bios A05
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560 Graphics card - 1 GB - GDDR5
Corsair 16 GB vengence lp ram
intel 320 120gb ssd
intel 320 160gb ssd
WD Caviar Black 1 TBx(2)
windows home premium 64 bit
Corsair Professional Series HX1050 PowerSupply

I plan on using 3x 23' Acers(S232HL) monitors

and in need of a good graphic card what will fit my playstyle

I'll mostly be playing wow, diablo 3, sc and few fps shooters.

Last edited:
like 500 bones or so but I'm willing to wait a few months or so untill I get a cpu desk I'm playing on the floor since I recently moved.

I have a 6950 in Eyefinity for my 3 17s (3840x1024), I get 60FPS on high. I think the 6950 goes for around $300 and it will support up to 4 monitors.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 321
Nice did you build that table top yourself, the one holding up the monitors. When you bg how is the lag?

I have not really noticed any issues in BG/Raid and I am on one of the most populated servers and there is no lag in Stormwind (most populated city). I think that most of the lag in BG/Raids and citys is caused by slow CPU/Internet speed. But I could be wrong. I am running a 4.5GHZ 2500k and my internet speed is over 30MPS so I have no issues there.

I did build that riser myself, I wanted some space to put stuff and the 3 monitors take up the whole desk.

In order to have Eyeinfity (one resolution spread between several monitors) you have to have AMD and it can be done with one card, the nVidia equivalent requires 2 or more cards and can be VERY expensive.

In order to have Eyeinfity (one resolution spread between several monitors) you have to have AMD and it can be done with one card, the nVidia equivalent requires 2 or more cards and can be VERY expensive.

He already has a Zotac 560 so adding another will get him much better performance than almost any single AMD. A single 7950 would be about the same but be much more expensive.

The resolutions you are running are very low as well. The monitors that the OP posted are 1920X1080 giving a total of 5670 X 1080. You need much more juice to run that than your 3840x1024.

If you look HERE , you will see that SLI 560's get almost double the FPS of a single 6950.

Last edited:
He already has a Zotac 560 so adding another will get him much better performance than almost any single AMD. A single 7950 would be about the same but be much more expensive.

The resolutions you are running are very low as well. The monitors that the OP posted are 1920X1080 giving a total of 5670 X 1080. You need much more juice to run that than your 3840x1024.

I agree with this in this case, get another 560, but for anyone out there that needs a GPU and wants to run Eyeinfinity and doesnt have a nVidia card already going the AMD route is cheaper and potentially as good without the need for 2 cards.

That used to be true. The new 6 series cards can run multiple monitors off a single card.

I still love my 7970 Cu ii though. :thup:

Just for fun..... this is mine :clap:

15dhjp.jpg

That used to be true. The new 6 series cards can run multiple monitors off a single card.

I still love my 7970 Cu ii though. :thup:

This may be idiotic but I have always bought

ATI GPUs and
Intel CPUs,

I have done this for years and has always seemed like the right decision.

I would love to have the 7970 or 7990 but I just cant afford that upgrade right now. :)

90% of lag in MMO's is due to net speed. thats alot of info coming trough the lines. Cities ppl are like OMG frame rate is so bad, it's not video lag, it's connection lag. WOW can run easy on a intergrated HD3000 graphic on my i3-2350m laptop.

90% of lag in MMO's is due to net speed. thats alot of info coming trough the lines. Cities ppl are like OMG frame rate is so bad, it's not video lag, it's connection lag. WOW can run easy on a intergrated HD3000 graphic on my i3-2350m laptop.

True, but it does not go to the OP's question. I doubt integrated graphics will run 3 X 23" screens

thanks guys I think I'll go with the 560 since it's like under 200 bones now and I will have enough to buy a table lol. I'll most likely have it in a month or two with some pictures. Thanks for all the feed back and info, greatly appreciated, cheers.

Since you went the Nvidia route, buying a second card seems like the best solution. It'll be the most cost effective but I've heard it can be somewhat tricky to configure.

Offtopic:

I need to find 3 nice monitors to purchase so I can see how decent my 6870 is when configured for Eyefinity.

This may be idiotic but I have always bought

ATI GPUs and
Intel CPUs,

I have done this for years and has always seemed like the right decision.

I would love to have the 7970 or 7990 but I just cant afford that upgrade right now. :)
I used to use AMD gfx card with AMD cpus...but that was mostly because I was poor lol.
Now I'm running an Intel CPU with an AMD graphics card :)

I did build that riser myself, I wanted some space to put stuff and the 3 monitors take up the whole desk.
Nice riser thing, I like it.
I have eyefinity and the screens do take up the whole back of the desk.

Not really, depending on the game.
I have 3 23" monitors running at 6056X1080 on ONE 6970.
I can play all my games (Except BF3 & Medal Of Honor) on the highest settings and stay at a constant 60FPS.

Back