• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing headroom: 955BE vs. 965BE vs. 970BE vs. 975BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dooms101

Alright so I am well aware that the 955BE, 965BE, 970BE, and 975BE (coming next month at 3.6GHz) are basically all the same stuff under the IHS with just a different stock multiplier. However, since I want to be benching one of these guys under water which has the best max headroom? I know these are the same chips, but if a 970BE can run 3.5GHz and a 955BE runs at only 3.2GHz at the same voltage and heat envelope, then would it not be reasonable to say the 970BE is most likely to have a better high-end OC. I have also heard that the 970BE is binned (I am pretty sure all Deneb cores are) for lower voltage and heat at higher clocks, which would make since. Plus, Global Foundries has been making the Deneb cores for a while now, and even though a 970BE and a 955BE are C3 steppings, I would imagine the much more recent 970BE would have a slightly more refined fabrication.

So I guess the question I am getting to, is there really any difference in these different models? And if there is, would the added headroom even matter on non-extreme cooling like LN2? Should I pay $155 for the 955BE or $190 for the 970BE?

AMD does progressive improvements on their chips and since the 955 and 965 will be phased out of BE status, if you want the best chance at good silicon then you will want to get a 970 or 975. My 970 hits 3.8 at stock volts of 1.33, 3.9 at 1.36 and 4ghz at 1.41. Seeing as most of the early c3s tend to top out at 3.8-4ghz with 1.5v or better it is nice seeing the ability to hit higher clocks at lower volts. For you under water you will likely be able to tap close to 4.5ghz.

Overclocking is a crap shoot, but the likelihood of getting a 970 that is crap it will still get to 4ghz where as a crap 955 could top out at 3.6ghz. Price difference is a bit of a conundrum and basically boils down to what you are looking for, a better chance at more refined silicon that will have a higher chance of running 4.2ghz+ under water, or save some cash and get something that will maybe top out around 4.2ghz under water. With the way Deneb scales you should easily be able to get 500mhz off of the stock speed so the higher the stock speed the closer you are to the 4ghz range.

I really want at least 4.0GHz speeds on a Deneb. The 970BE is $35 more than the 955BE and only $20 more than the 965BE. I think I will just wait for thanksgiving (newegg always has a massive sale around then) and see if I can get the 970BE for a little less. I do have a coupon for $20 off however... so a 970BE for ~$165 would be well worth it. I guess I am being picky with my money again.

I really want at least 4.0GHz speeds on a Deneb. The 970BE is $35 more than the 955BE and only $20 more than the 965BE. I think I will just wait for thanksgiving (newegg always has a massive sale around then) and see if I can get the 970BE for a little less. I do have a coupon for $20 off however... so a 970BE for ~$165 would be well worth it. I guess I am being picky with my money again.

Newegg has 15$ gift card going on the 970 right now.

I'm thinking on pulling the trigger on this combo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.556173

what say you?

I say I just noticed that today, and it's already sitting in the cart waiting for tuesday for me to buy it (along with a SeaSonic ;))

Back