• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New water cooling/air cooling system- will it work- updated and working version

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sworkhard

What do you think of this idea. It's a three stage system really

The water is partially cooled in the botom layer. It is then cooled completely at the second layer which acts as a rad. A small res might be needed to store the water but I don't know for sure. The 176 mm (yes, panfloa just released on of these quiet 300cfm monsters) then does the air cooling which cools the water. Because a progressive size system is used it should work.

Thanks for any replies. I will try answer any questions but it might take a few days as I am not always allowed on the net. (I don't have acomp now- I'm using my dads but I'm looking at possibities for the one I plan to order before schools starts again).

The middle layer will act as a rad. Maybe I will even use a mini rad here. If I do try it, I will make sure I have a computer that uses the internal diode in amd's athlon and that has thermal protection:cool:

Looks promising, are you going to use a fast flow of water for this system? I know that there was some one here that was using a normal watercooling system and put a heatsink and fan on top of the copper waterblock as a fail safe if he forgot to turn off the pump or the pump failed. Well he did and his temps ended up being 6c lower than without the waterbock between the cpu and hsf. The only suggestion is that you have the fan on the rad sucking air from the rad, because most get an increase in transfer and the hot air wont be pushed on the waterblock underit.

[EG]~NaTz~ thats what i was talking about, and next time you attach an image its better if you convert it into a jpg and attach it, because it will compress it and automatically load it saving lots of time for 56kers like myself.:D

I dont think thats what Sworkhard was thinking, but when i saw his drawing it made me think about what i talked about in my last post.

its not that big of a problem for the 56kers but it only takes a min to compress it and the quality isnt that bad, and it saves load on the server. Just remember for next time. Its just these little things that help concerve bandwidth.:D

No that is not what I meant. What I meant is to have a waterblock that is like a heat sink with thefins of it penetrating the top of the water block- connected to the bottom. I would have these peices of copper go through the rad (It won't damage the rad's effectiveness if done right) and have the fan mounted on this. the way you mount one on a regular heatsink. Using this technigue, with a fast flow of water, the water is air and water cooleed in that the water cools it and there is even more heat removed by the fan blowing against the fins. With a fast pump I think it will work. I am considering the possibilty of a 120 mm fan but a 172 sounds nicer if there is enough room. This should work right

the only problem i see with that ideal Sworkhard is that your case temps will probably not lower, and with a properly made watercooled setup you would see a temp decrease in the whole case. Another problem might be that when the water is going back to the block it is heated by the fins that will be cooled by the hot air comming from the rad. Either than that it seems like a good ideal, oh and you might want to consider how much this thing would weight. Dont want to bend your motherboard in half or crack it.

you talked about a 176mm panaflow earlier. do you know a site where i could get one of those behemoths? cuz i dont see them even listed on the panasonic site

No I don't. It's actually at 172mm delta which is still the quietest delta around and blows air at 200cfm. I learned of this fan from a post on this website. I hope this helped you. Sorry for keeping you waiting.

Back