• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D740X Is Definately The Most Popular Hard Drive, And It Kinda Blows Being Popular...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

D740X Is Definately The Most Popular Hard Drive, And It Kinda Blows Being Popular...

Well, after shopping all over the city, virtually all Maxtor D740X (All Models) were completely sold out and were out of stock from 8 of the 10 computer stores that are in the city.

It was brutal, I couldn't get a single Maxtor but yet IBMs and WDs were plentiful in all sizes right up to 120GB.

It seems, most retailers are switching to Maxtor due to past technical drive errors that have came up with Seagate, WD and IBM.

One reseller completely refuses to sell IBM and says that IBM hard drives now days are very unreliable. Most other retailers agreed that most people will buy an ATA-133 hard drive over an ATA-100 hard drive even if the ATA-100 hard drive has 8MB Cache. The fact is that in most places, the 8MB models are up to $50 more (Canadian for WD Drives), which is a total ripoff considering in most cases only proving only 5% faster.

But back to my story, the 80GB D740X that I was supposed to get is now delayed untill two weeks from now untill the store I saw the best price for it gets the new stocks in (60 Hard Drives). Get this, the store sold 30 80GB D740Xs in just 4 days! Wow, talk about popularity, and this was just a little computer shop!

They also had the XP2200 T-bred for sale there for $399 but lets leave that for the AMD section.

The other two places wanted $219 for the 80GB, total rip so I think I'm gonna hold out untill stores replenish stocks.

Oh man, two more weeks without a RAID, this sux. But I love that price for the Maxtor 80, just $175 CAN for that puppy, and thats a sweet deal especially considering its not online :)

p.s- thats like only $104 US, impressive! amount of space.

DS-Master

$13 for shipping thou, which brings the price to $168.

That would only save me $7, I'd rather buy from the store and spend seven dollers than take a chance ordering a Hard Drive from that place.

But thanx anyways :)

If it would save me like $20 then I'd get it online.

DS-Master

DS-Master,

Please, do not try to make all people here belive that all brands except Maxtor are CRAP. That is simply untrue and false. You know I am pro-IBM, but at least I try not to give bad press to anything else... without personal evidence. Maxtor is just one of the big players in the hdd business, and has had bad drives during history, as all the others.
If you have evidence/personal experiences, we'd like to hear those. Otherwise, and at least for me, your opinion (or those of the retailers you mention in your area) does not have real credit.

Just my .05c
Regards
FTC

FTC,

Well, I actually have a WD hard drive and have had no problems with it what so ever. But I am just biasing opinions from computer stores where they only sell selected brands because of mechanical reasons from dead drives that they had to return.

This easily explains why almost every store in town is Sold out of Maxtor 7200rpm hard drives.

Futureshop, yes Futureshop is EVEN sold out at all locations in the city and they only have 40, 20GB 7200rpm and 5400rpm models. BTW, Futureshop has plenty of WD in stock as well as Seagate.

That has to tell you something. The D740X is in very high demand right now. Need I say more?

EDIT: Well, IBM totally screwed them selves when they released that information how you can only run the hard drive for only 8 hours a day. Well, because of that, some stores refuse to even handle IBM for Hdisks now because of that.

DS-Master

Maybe FTC would have a different opinion if he had to join the class action lawsuit against IBM? IBM has made some good HDs in the past, but that was the *past*! This is now, and the future!

Cheers,
Mike

yea i love my maxtor drive it kicks but i have the 40 gig i dont need alot off storage i havent even used all the space on the 40 gig if i do then i will get a 60 the 80 then 100 and so on

Well right now I have a D740X-6L(60gb) and its dying,mechanically!After 2 months on a non-raid array.While I agree its suppose to be the best drive out there right now,I'd settle for a WD.

Imho,when it comes to puters nothings a for-sure thing.And I hope not every-one's going Maxtor,because these company's become pretty bad when there's no competition.

3 Maxtor 40gb 7200rpm drives died on me in 5 months. Luckily i had bought an extended warranty from FutureShop, went in, told them the problem, they gave me a new one on the spot, no questions asked. I now have 1 Maxtor and 1 WD, and to tell you the truth, the WD makes less noise than the Maxtor drive, dunno why.

I have always had WD and segate drives, but when it came time to get a new drive i went maxtor. cheaper price then the WD and segate, it diddnt last me 12 hours. started to make noise get realy hot then died..
the guy at the store asked if i wanted another, yeah right
just get me a WD...

2 years later 24/7 operation not a thing wrong

Some might criticize that the Western Digital drive is not ATA/133. But the fact is, many people don't really know what to think about ATA/133. Is ATA/100 still fast enough? If it is, then when is the right time to upgrade? Are there any advantages at all? Right now, UltraATA/133 is nothing more than a marketing catchword.
-Tomshardware

I concur. WD JB models all the way hehe.

jackswild said:
-Tomshardware

I concur. WD JB models all the way hehe.
Even though that is somewhat correct, you would be doing yourself a favor by not quoting anything from tom's ever again. He is a jackass.

Don't even mention tom's fricken hardware!
While I would agree that there are other HDs besides Maxtor that are just as good or maybe better, I wouldn't believe what comes from tom's fricken hardware! He's a butthole firstclass! But I digress, he's the computer god for some people......

There is no one HD or anything else that is perfect for all people! What is right for you or me may not be right for somebody else. Just as some peeps has had problems out of Maxtors, I as well as others have not. I'm owning about my 10th Maxtor after 3 years, and they're all still running. (Family and inlaws owns 3 of them, I have 4 currently in use in my system, and I have 3 laid up.) That don't mean everyone will have the same luck. The trick is, finding something that is most likely to work for you, from what you read from others.

Just call me lucky, but I've only had about 2 HD failures out of about 100 HDs, in over 15 years. I know of Conner HDs, what I owned the most of, by far, still running for other people, which are pushing 10 years old.

Cheers,
Mike

Tell it nik!
I despise tom pabst and his website. I started going there when he first opened for business, about 8 years ago. (I forget the actual time he opened, but I got a personal invitation to visit his new website at the time.) I was impressed at first with his website and reviews, and I was a regular visitor there, including his forum for several years. However about 3 years ago I begin to notice the quality of his articles started to become less, and his hype and bias increased. Tom hired more people to write and run his website as well. I even personally e-mailed tom a couple of times about his articles. I might as well have been talking to a brick wall! I very rarely ever go to tom's fricken hardware now, and the ONLY way I will believe anything from that site is to read similar conclusions from other websites. Yes, tom pabst is a biased jackass whose arrogance runs up to his nose! (I hate to trash people, but don't go quoting something that comes from tom's fricken hardware!)

Mike Lamb

Well, I am really enjoying how this thread is developing... it is effectively proving my point, where ALL drive brands can fail ...

Regarding the class action against IBM, I am perfectly aware of it.
Please note that it is only restricted to IBM GXP75's AND it has not been ruled out yet. I am not going to defend that particular model, basically because I lack personal experience with it, but I can say that today's (present) IBM IDE drives (120GXP's) are as good as (and probably better) than most other brands. The ones I own are giving *excellent* performance and reliability figures.

Regards
FTC

Back